What outside temps are OK for 5 and 6 weeks olds?

TripMomma

Chirping
Jan 27, 2015
Oregon
The last couple of weeks have been beautiful here in Beaverton, OR. We had been letting the babies out for an hour or so each day for the last 10 days or so, they love it so much. My hubby built them a little play-pen type run two days ago and they have been out from about noon to 7pm. I love getting them out of my house and not having to clean up as much poop LOL.

I'm just wondering what are the lowest temps they can handle right now? I don't mind them sleeping inside, but I would love to get them out earlier than noon. It is 9:30 am here right now and about 41 degrees, supposed to be 50 by 11am. Are these temps too low, should I keep waiting until about noon when it hits mid 50's...or would they be OK to go out this early? They do not use a light in the house anymore at all...the room they brood in is probably 65 or so.

A couple pics so you can see their feathering.

Things look fine to me. If it is sunny, then the chicks absorb more warmth . If they are actively running around then they are most likely fine. If they were cold, then I would think they would huddle and not move much. Taking them in at night is good at least for 2 or 3 more weeks when they will be 8. I'm sure you are providing food, and that is the key, FOOD = WARMTH.
You have a beautiful looking assortment. WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

Mine were out at 5.5 weeks, when daytime temps were in the 40s. The first night it dropped to 20, and the next day it snowed. <sigh> A year later they are still all healthy, laying well, and would rather be outside in the snow than in the run or coop. Yours look very well feathered (and beautiful, I might add!) so they will probably be fine. They'll hate you like crazy for a few days, but they'll get over it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom