What pattern is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gerbil, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, Gerbil.

(Is this the right section?) [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow beautiful! Could it be some cuckoo and some silver pencil? I'm just guessing.....

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I can get more pictures if it would help. [​IMG]

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    cuckoo/ barred (B/b) + birchen. My guess. I understand that birchen males have laced breasts, which would be consistant with this bird. Very pretty!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I agree, it looks like a barred birchen pattern to me. Do you know what his parents were or may have been Gerbil ? It looks like there is some Faverolle so it maybe a barred Salmon color.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Not exactly,
    This is his mother, his great grand father was probably a Cuckcoo on his mothers side, not sure about his dad...
    [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:By any chance do you have a Silver Campine and or a Silver duck-wing around there?
    Chris

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Here is a list: [​IMG]

Red Cochin
    Splash Phoenix
    One Cuckcoo Silkie
    Buff Orpington
    They were all mixed together, there were a few more that I was unsure of though...

We were reducing our flock to purebreds so most everybody is gone now... [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK Well since the mother is a lower grade or mixed Silkie, thats where the fifth toe and beard comes from that I was thinking may have came from a Faverolle. And the mother also appears to be birchin colored.

But of the ones you listed, I dont really see any of them being the father.

The hen doesnt appear to be barred and the rooster in question is barred and barring isnt recessive or anything so if it doesnt hide ( well unless its under Recessive or Dom White, which the hen is neither of those two,so since her son is barred and she isnt, then the father has to be barred.

So of your list that only leaves the Cuckoo Silkie as the (genetically color wise) possible father, but if a silkie was bred to that hen the offspring would be silkie feathered for one thing and would look more like a silkie. So that rules the Cuckoo Silkie out.

So of those few more that you were unsure of, was there any barred/ cuckoo roos in that bunch and if so, then you can bet that it would be the father.

10. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks all. [​IMG]

I guess he'll forever be a mystery. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by