WHAT PERCENT PROTEIN FOR CORNISH ROCK

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I just went to the local feed store and they said 16% protein for meat birds.......and I thought I read on here it's a higher % like 21or22%.......can anyone clarify?

TIA

I use a 22% protein feed for my broilers. But right now... it's running $21 a bag for non organic layer. 16% feed runs only about $16 a bag. I'd go with the higher one to make sure their legs develop right.

I was just at my local feed store that is family owned and the owner and I are always chatting. He just showed me his 8 week cornish Rock crosses and they were huge..I am looking to get some and we were talking about feeds etc. anyway to make a long story short, he suggested to me to use a 20% feed..He says you can use a 23-24% even if you want and they will grow faster but he says they often cannot stand up due to the weight and it can break their legs, so he starts with 20% starter then uses 20-18% finisher. This way they still get big just not as fast only a few weeks longer though....hopefully this info will help you...

wink.png

Would I get chick starter 21% or wild game 22%?? These appear to be my only choices. The starter which the feed store recommends is 11.95 for 50 lb. I am ordering 25 cornish x rock and wonder how much food i will need for the duration. Help appreciated.......thanks

Go ahead and use the chick starter if it is medicated with ONLY amprolium. I figure about 15lbs of feed each bird up to 8/9 weeks, so I'd get 100 to start and when they are through that, buy another 150 so it stays fresh and you don't end up with left over feed if for some reason you get a high percentage of flip. (flip = them just dying on you) Of course, if you do lots of chickies and the feed store is a good bit of gas money away, just get 300 lbs and go back if you think you'll run out before the birds get big enough.

OK great, It only has amprolium. So, I'll use that. Is there anything else I need to buy? I am really grateful for these answers as I want to call Cackle yet today and order.........thanks.

Yes, all birds need grit. They don't have teeth, so they can't chew they're food. It goes down into the gizzard, and the grit grinds it up.

Back
Top Bottom