What percentage of YOUR hens crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiki244, Jan 10, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have about 20% of my bantam cochin hens that crow and all together all my hens about at a 10%. Who said hens don't crow?

[​IMG]

I had one of my cochins in the house and she curled up on my chicken coat and fell asleep so I thought I would let her stay there all night. Well sun up and she is doing the old "er-ERRRRRR!" But oh no not once, not twice, but on and on and on. I put the pillow over my head and go back to sleep. An hour later she starts in again "er-ERRRRRR!!" over and over. Then it is another crow "EERR" and "er-ERRRR". I thought that is enough, I have heard so many of my hens crow this is ridiculouse. Does anyone else have this phenomena????

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine are sometimes loud, but none have ever made a noise that I would consider crowing.

Edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have 1 old hen that crows very well, she sounds just like a banty roo. Since she started to crow, none of her eggs are fertile, she lays very few eggs, her comb and wattles have gotten alot bigger............

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    0%... so far.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My great grandma said it was bad luck to have a crowing hen. I remember one time we were sitting on the back porch (I was little) and she saw a hen crow. She ran out there, grabbed her up, and wrung her neck. I was horrified! I cried and cried... then I cried some more because we ate her for supper. [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    None of my hens have ever crowed.

7. Nancyjane

Nancyjane Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    How traumatic, Green! I'm surprised you can have chickens after that! Sounds like Grandma was a bit homophobic!!!!![​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:WOW that is aweful.... Well if this is true I must be due for a lot of bad luck. [​IMG]

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    0% of my hens crow, but I do have 2 roosters who make plenty of noise for the hens to hear.

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Your Grandma wasn't alone. The saying in the nineteenth century was "Whistling girls and crowing hens always come to some bad end."

Nice, huh? Glad MY daughters can whistle all they want. And btw I'd say at least 10% of our hens crow, or make a crowing sort of sound.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by