what plants are not ok for chickens to eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nicokl502, Jun 10, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i want to put some plants in my chickens run some that they would love to eat and other that they would just leave alone , i what to plant that will give them shade and a place to hide when they want to!! i know they love mint and they have grass in there run but i want something that i could put in there to make the place nice to look at that wont kill them. does anyone know of any?????[​IMG]

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    look in the farm tek catalog (or maybe they have it on the website) there is a grass that is suitable for heavy grazing.

you'll have a hard time growing anything in your run if it is not big enough. what they do not eat, they will scratch up looking for bugs

the lists listing what they cannot eat?......... *sigh*

if it's not good for them, they will not eat it, in my experience. if given the choice, they will not eat the bad things. chickens have been on the earth just as long as we have, and didn't need us to micromanage them.

the lists..... i don't care for the lists [​IMG]

3. Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:alfalfa is poisonous? I never would have thought that. Don't some use hay for bedding?

5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Wow that took a long time to go through the list but I am grateful I did. Really suprised at a few of those common plants.

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Wow, that is a very thourough list, a little too much info and tough read but will be helpful if I am ever looking up something specific, thanks for posting

7. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Geesh if a person went by this list you better keep your chinkens in the house with you.... Like was posted chickens have been on this earth for thousands and believe it or not they did just fine without us showing them what to eat..lol...Oh im sure some of that stuff is not the best things for them but hey I dont eat all the best things either...I figure a chicken knows what to eat and what not to... jmo

8. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    alfalfa really? I just bought seed at the feed store. I said it was for my chicken salad bar they didn't say anything. I also bought clover and rye grass it that ok?

9. Quote:alfalfa is poisonous? I never would have thought that. Don't some use hay for bedding?

Apparently so. I skimmed much of the list, and it seemed a recurring theme to see issues with nitrates. And then read some stuff on the emergency thread about flocks dying and had to wonder if they seriously go after flowers that are toxic??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by