What plants do chickens like that grow fast and are healthy?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CorralitosSunflower, May 28, 2010.

1. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I want to make a special "garden" for my chickens with a bunch of yummy plants for them to chow on. They are just 10 weeks old and have already decamated the grass in their coop/run and I cannot let them fully free range because 1. we have lost some birds to local bobcats and 2. they love MY garden too much. I let them out to free range when I am home and hanging outside so I can supervise but would love to have another fenced in place I can put them in during the day to enjoy a not so free-range free-range. I am thinking I would rotate times the chickens would be in the "garden" to keep the plants from being destroyed like chickens have a tendency to do rather quickly. I would like to plant it now and give it a decent amount of time to get established before exposing it to the chickies. Do any of you do this? What might be some good plants? I was thinking tomatoes might be good once the plants get big enough and some kind of grass/grain? [​IMG]

2. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    Spinach and lettuce will both come on fast and are good for the chickens. They will also eat radish greens, mustard and collard greens, and kale - all of which come up pretty fast.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Kale, swiss chard. Spinach, radishes/beets (I eat the radish/beet, they eat the greens). Cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini. They also get pumpkin, butternut squash

4. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens really love kale, which is so easy to grow and so productive, and survives well into the fall even here in Colorado. They also really like comfrey, also super easy and hardy (my horses love comfrey too). I've heard that white clover is a big hit with chickens if you're looking for a ground cover/pasture plant - haven't tried it myself.

5. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    i have wheat grass growing in a x 4 foot planter..
    not really a plant i guess but its really good for their health

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by