What plants do chickens like to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Jan 1, 2013.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Going to go to the garden center, any herbs, flowers, or plants I can give to the girls and roo?

2. MagsDeatrick

MagsDeatrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    El Paso, TX
    Oh my gosh, my girls ate my entire veg/herb garden this summer- I was out of town a few months and DH thought it was cute to watch them demolish my basil, lettuces, cilantro, parsley, everything! I started my sprouts indoors this past weekend and for outdoor planting, this year I give up- I'm planting a section for them and a bigger section (well protected!) for me! My hens love cilantro more than life itself, whenever there's a bunch in the fridge on the brink of decay, I toss it out to them and it's gone quickly in a funny feather fury. They love grapes too, err, I love watching them chase grapes :)
    Mags

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chickens like to eat anything you're growing for food or for pretty blooms.

They don't eat pine trees or cedars or oaks or manzanita (although they do love the blossoms!) so that pretty much spells it ot out for you: don't plan any garden you cannot fence to keep them out.

Says she who watches her flock demolish everything but full grown conifers and huge oleander "trees.". Cute little buggers, aren't they? They look so happy working in the yard!

4. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Love berries and the berry plants - all of them!! Good thing I love my girls more than my blueberries and raspberries.

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by