What plants hold up to ducks well... also Q's about Silky ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fancie, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I am planning on getting silky ducklings this year. [​IMG] I kinda wanted to have a planted avairy... I tried with my pheasants but they distroyed everything. The birds are going into there old pen, with a pond addition. What plants (if any) can I put in there that the ducks wont distroy?

Also does anyone know anything about silkie ducks. They still swim right? What breed do the origanate from... are they loud... Pictures [​IMG]

wow just saw the duck coop post... wow!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Silkie ducks? Wow I have never heard of them! I am definitley going to check them out!

3. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
  4. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    are you talking about the white fluffy butt 1? cause the rest are normal ducks?

5. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
  6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:In my experience ducks will "destroy" any vegetation in small enclosed area just like chickens.

Ducks will not scratch, but will turn into mud any area close to water (container, kids pool etc).

I love ducks, they are so funny to watch, and they really showing the enjoyment of life, but I stopped raising them not because they made a mess of everything around, but I concluded that keeping water fowl without access to a pond, lake or river its just not right thing to do for their own comfort and lifestyle.

So if you really love animals, birds etc keep only the species that can can live comfortably within an environment you are able to provide right for them.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Silkie ducks are not a standard breed, but they are ducks that have longer fluffer feathers. This hatchery sells a few different colors:

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

they have:
    Black Silky Ducks
    Dusky Silky Ducks
    Gray (Mallard colored) Silky Ducks
    Snowy Silky Ducks
    White Silky Ducks

They are about the size of a Black east indies (a little bigger than a call) and are considered bantam sized.

here's a link with pictures:
    http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/silkies_page/silkies_page.htm

All duck breeds will destroy any lawn or plants. they like to forage alot. With water collects anywhere, they will scratch it into a small hole.

8. ryple

ryple Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    I am expected to receive 4 silky duck eggs for hatching in a week or so. You mentioned a link to a duck coop, can I have that link? I would love to share any info about ducks or chickens and keeping and/or housing them. I am in Illinois. Thanks!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Plants in my backyard the ducks haven't touched...

Dianthus
    Feverfew
    Sedum
    Bishop's weed
    Pestemon

Plants they have totally eaten...

Dandelions
    Plantain

I love my ducks [​IMG]

10. BarnSweet

BarnSweet Out Of The Brooder

Quote:good to know, they'll love free ranging or whatever it's called for ducks, in my horse pasture [​IMG](which has lots of not-grass species [​IMG] ).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by