What predator did this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TGreenhut, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Last week one of my 7 week old RP turkeys disappeared. They have the option run freely around the pastures but they mostly stay in the shady barn. Since there was no evidence of attack, I had always thought that this one turkey decided to wander outside and it got picked up by a hawk. A couple days ago another turkey disappeared (Bronze turkey). This one was about six weeks old so I figured a hawk got this one too. But then I found the wings and a couple bones of the bronze turkey about 2 feet from the barn. A hawk wouldn't of done this, so what could have happened? I have reason to believe the same predator got these turkeys because both times I was taking care of the turkeys at around noon and came back an hour later to find that a turkey was missing. Both times I was around the pastures and didn't hear any noise from the turkeys or chickens when this happened. I was also wondering why this has only happened to my turkeys and not to my chickens who are kept in the same area?

Any help is appreciated because I would like to prevent this from happening to the rest of my poultry.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I am thinking fox or coyote. My experience with hawks is that they tend to pick the meat off the bones. There are so many oppertunistic creatures,unless you actually see them they are hard to defend against. I would get a trail cam and mount it near where it all has happened to see who is lurking at all hours. They know where to get an easy meal, they most assuredly will be back.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    But would a coyote or fox really come in broad daylight? Especially considering a have a few goats and a horse in the same basic area.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    But would a coyote or fox really come in broad daylight?

Yes, and they don't care about horses or goats​

5. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would agree. Especially coyotes.

6. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Had a fox problem for a while a couple of years ago, lost many to daytime attacks (but they carried them all off to eat, didn't eat any around the barn), with horses and goats around.

7. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    [​IMG] Darn! What can I do to protect them? I'm getting llamas soon, will that help?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm getting llamas soon, will that help

Yes.

When they eat the llamas, they will be too full to bother the birds

You need traps or guard dogs​

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes.

You need traps or guard dogs

Sorry but that's funny! [​IMG]

Seriously, you need to consider electric fence, about 5 - 6 joule (measurement of the shock it delivers) and that will help contain your animals and repel the intruders caue the fox and coyotes will be back till you run out of animals!

10. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Quote:Yes.

You need traps or guard dogs

LOL sorry about your birds...but that post was funny....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by