What Predator Digs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mpaget99, May 16, 2010.

1. mpaget99

mpaget99 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    :/On all 3 sides of the girls house something has tried to dig under the frame. Putting a trap out tomorrow, but thought I would ask some experienced folk advice.

2. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Well, I know for a fact that raccoons will dig. I'm dealing with the little boogers right now. They took out 3 chickens and 1 goose a couple of weeks ago. I've been setting traps every single night since then and so far have only caught one coon. They are trap savvy and have started to dig around my traps trying to get to the tasty treats I've been setting out. They eventually get the bait by reaching into the trap from the back. [​IMG]

If you can, set out more than one trap. The bigger the trap, the better. [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Canine family as well (dogs, fox, coyote, etc.) Here where Coyotes are common, I have a 2 ft ring of patio pavers surrounding my coop/pen.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    chickintexa wrote: They are trap savvy and have started to dig around my traps trying to get to the tasty treats I've been setting out. They eventually get the bait by reaching into the trap from the back.

Used to have the same problems, but I worked them out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=232969

Just
    about any pred with claws will dig (some more enthusiastically than others) if that is the only way to get to the food.​

5. mpaget99

mpaget99 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    The chickens daddy "my Hubby" thought that, too. We've had our neighbors male peacock down impressing the girls this month and wasn't sure if peter was trying to get in or if we had a serious problem. It's war on the coons tomorrow. [​IMG]

6. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Quote:I've been adding a ring of the big 16" X 16" pavers surrounding my run. Not worried about the coop. The coop itself is built like Fort Knox!

7. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Quote:Used to have the same problems, but I worked them out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=232969

Just
    about any pred with claws will dig (some more enthusiastically than others) if that is the only way to get to the food.

I recently got read that link. Awesome info! I just gotta buy more hardware cloth [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by