What predator does this sound like to you?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Feanor, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Feanor

Feanor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Mississippi
    Hi all, I found a dead pullet this morning. She had been dragged out of the coop and into the run (through the 1 foot-square door that I forgot to close). Her head and neck was missing and most of her insides were eaten out. I'm not too upset, after reading other stories on BYC I think I'm lucky that it was only one of my 37 young girls and not a dozen, or not one of my layers.

But I read that coons would drag them off, and that possums kill them all and eat their favorite bits, so since this was just one that was dragged just a few feet away and only the head, neck, and organs were gone, I wonder what my predator could be. If it were a skunk, would I be able to smell that it had been in there? What does this sound like to you more-experienced chicken owners?

Also, I found her this morning around 9:00am and when I picked up what was left of her, she was cold but not stiff. With all her insides missing, would that keep her body from going stiff? I'm trying to figure out if she was killed deep in the night or perhaps early morning before I found her.

I've got them locked up tight tonight with live traps set and my .22 loaded and waiting for the morning, so hopefully we'll find out by morning. But knowing whether its a coon or a possum would help me choose the best bait.

Thanks!

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    My dad had a mink that was killing off chickens in that manner. It would take more than one a night, and didn't give up until he was able to kill it.

3. Feanor

Feanor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Mississippi
    I caught a culprit last night!

[​IMG]

A young possum, that would explain why one chicken was enough for him... it was twice his size! But where there is one baby there's probably a lot more, so the traps will stay set and the chicks under lock and key.

Oh btw I baited the trap with a chunk of apple (per BYC recommendation) and some bacon dog treats (my own idea)

And no I did not relocate, I don't want to risk it coming back or becoming a cage-shy pest for someone else's poor chickens, so this little guy went to the big KFC in the sky...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by