What Predator Killed My Chicken? **Graphic Pic**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lolliegee, May 13, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I've got a dead chicken and a missing duck. I heard something out in the coop in the middle of the night, but just thought it was the chickens being pushy for the best spot on the roost. I wish I had gone out to check...thought about it, but it was 3:30 am and I had only gotten up to go to the bathroom. We had left the coop door open, stupid, I know. But, in our defense, we've lived in this middle of the town (small town) house for nearly 3 years and have never seen any nocturnal predators. Thought I was being over protective about locking up the chickens and then the ducks liked going under the coop, so we got out of the habit of locking the chickens up too. We had planned to start locking them back up after we got a duck house built. Obviously, this is a priority for this weekend. We have put the ducks in the coop for tonight and will continue to do so for the next few nights, until we get their house built. But, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what killed the chicken. I read the article at the beginning of this category and it said that most of the possibilities for where we live would have taken the head. I thought maybe a neighborhood cat, but they've all been around them for months now and haven't bothered them, just been scared away by the chickens coming after them. Also, a cat wouldn't have been big enough to take a nearly full grown duck away. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give enough detail.

WARNING: Here's the picture of the dead chicken.

[​IMG]

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Could be a Racoon, Fisher, Possum, Fox or Weasle

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    best guess is possum, yes they are in cities and in town you may not see them but they are there, as are coon and other preditors but judging by what was not eaten I would say possum.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thanks for the responses. I did suspect opossum since they were one of the few that leave the head. However, nothing I've read says they will take one away too, so I'm still wondering if that's what it really did it. [​IMG]

6. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Looks like a possum did this chicken. They usually eat the sides and leave the head and, yes, they will carry off one to eat somewhere secluded. Try looking around for it.

So sorry for your loss.

7. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thanks for the input. And for not making me feel any worse than I already do. I have looked around for the body of the duck, but haven't seen even a single feather. We managed to round up the ducks and get them in the coop with the chickens last night. I did realize today that one of the other ducks eye had gotten injured. Not sure if he still has an eye there, it was pretty goopy looking. I feel so bad for them. Definitely building the new duck house this weekend!

8. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Just went out and closed up the ducks. Got a chance to look at "Elvis's" eye and it's ok. He got a good chance to clean himself up earlier and I'm so relieved. He has a bite mark in his bill too. Obviously the critter tried to grab him and go, but something intervened and he took a different one instead. I'm so glad Elvis wasn't taken. He's my favorite duck...he's got a crest so he's got a great hairstyle.

Thanks again for your input.

9. kaiwaya

kaiwaya New Egg

May 12, 2009
    it's not a racoon, they pick yhe carcass clean from my experience. I agree probably a possum

10. kaiwaya

kaiwaya New Egg

May 12, 2009
    I feel your pain,
    I was so sad when i lost my pekin ducks Af and Lac. I also lost my best hen that i had for a long time. I have been laughed at by the local clinic because i paid 80 dollars to get her comb stiched up after it was nearly pulled off. I loved that hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by