What predator leaves feathers of 1 hen and takes 2 w/ no trace?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TeriS, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2 nights ago, I had 2 hens taken overnight w/o a trace and the 3rd had only lots of feathers left behind. We've lost 3 out of 11 hens! My husband said that he had seen an animal like a cat- w/ very pointy ears, legs longer in back than front and testicles that hung down. He saw it for the first time about 3 days ago. We live in NE Indiana- I know we have foxes nearby and raccoons, but is it possible that this 'cat' could have done this? Could it possibly be a bob cat in our area? He said it appeared a little larger than a housecat and had a loping gait. This happened overnight, because our hens didn't want to go into their coop and get closed in, so he left them out overnight. What kind of predator am I dealing with and how do we keep the remainder of our girls safe? They are all being kept in their coop now. They were used to free ranging however, but we are stopping that. Any advice or suggestions? We've had hens for 2 years and never had any problem like this before.

2. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    It is very likely that you have a fox that is doing this. But the way you described it, it sounds like you have a bobcat in the area as well. As long as you put the hens in at night you should be able to let them free range during the day, unless you are apposed to that now. If you put them in at night they should be alright if your coop is secured. Just listen for any strange or unusuall sounds that might be something you dont want around.

3. Chop33

Chop33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Crofton, Kentucky
    I know you hate to keep them in the coop all the time. I quess you might to build a pin for them to stay in!

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X2

5. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thank you all!
    Does anyone know if bob cats even exist in NE Indiana? My husband says he's going to shoot it if he sees it again.....I don't want him to do that:( But I also don't want my chickens going missing either....

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    lota coyotes out your way

7. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yeah, we see the coyotes pretty frequently here in NE Indiana.....

8. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    sounds like a fox , and fox will keep on coming back

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    Fox, coyote, or bobcat would be my guess. I am not sure where you live but until you shoot it and kill it they always continue to come back

10. ranchruler@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    alliance,oh
    Bobcat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by