what predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Luke0987654321, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    hi everyone,
    this morning when i let all of the chickens out, everything was fine, i fed them gave them their treats, fed the pigeons... and then like ten minutes later i hear all of the chickens making horrible noises like skwawking and stuff so i run out and all of the chickens are hiding in the bushes, and all of the pigeons are nowhere to be seen, the only ones that are around are the feamales on the nests or chicks, then i sit there untill one o the pigeon fledglings stumbles out of th chicken coop, and fly's up to the pigeon tree house, and then another one flys back from wherever it was hiding.

it has been 2 hours and nothing has come back, i'm thinking it was a bird of pray, that scared themm all away and now they dont know how to get back [​IMG] in total i had 23, now i only have 5 left, a brown checkered fledgling, a black pica / black homer fledgling, a king pigeon, and the parents of the black chick, male black pica and a black with white specs on her head homer... i hope they turn up...

what do you guys think it was?thnks

luke.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I am thinking you are correct in your "bird of prey" guess.

Hopefully the missing birds find the way back.

3. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    I bet the others will come back home as soon as they calm down! I was missing a hen, sure a coyote got her, no she just hid really well and I just could not find her. One hour later, I see her calmly strolling to the chicken run!! I hope that happens with your birds!!

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Most should come back but it could take a day or even more. I had a dog chase off my chickens once and it took almost two days for them to all come home. I hope things end well for you and all your birds.

Julie

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Probably a hawk but don't worry to much they'll find their way home. [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    hey I am soryy. Birds know where they get fed and they will start drifting back [​IMG] I am keeping good thoughts for you.

7. Luke0987654321

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    hi everyone,
    all of the pigeons turned up, most of them were hanging out with a feral flock, whom they flew back with [​IMG] so now i think i have around 45 pigeons, dont know what to do with them all, they all go in the loft at night, but i dont have enough money to feed them all, any ideas?

luke.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got photos of them to share [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Luke0987654321

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    will do at the weekend, sorry i leave early in the morning and arrive very late at night so i dont have much time for pics, only for feeding and collecting eggs [​IMG] i was thinking of culling the ones that look ill or weak and then sell the healthy ones, i know plenty of people that would like some pigeons. good idea?

Luke.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Right [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by