What Price For B.Rock Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeerKat, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MeerKat

MeerKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    I have 5 14 week old B.Rock hens I want to sell.What price should I ask for?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I can only tell you what I sell mine for. Hatchery stock type BR pullets at point of lay go for $10 each. At 14 weeks, they are a bit younger than that, so I may sell those for something like $7-8 apiece. It really depends on your area. Young, healthy, close to laying age pullets should bring more than $5 each. If they were breeder or show quality stock, I'd add a few bucks to that.

3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I don't have an answer, but I have 3 EE pullets that should start laying the beginning of August. How much should I ask for them?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I would say this is very close to what it should be in a vast area of the country, I know where I am it's real close maybe a tad bit less.

5. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Speckle.I was thining they would bring more since they should be laying in a couple months.

Feed store got 17 for roos the same age,we got 15 each.Maybe they just go for more here?Never sold at this age.

Prices may have dropped,but if so its the only thing thats went down in price,haha.

6. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    I guess I was very lucky, but I sold three ten week old hens, Buff Orpington, White Leghorn,and Barred Rock, for twenty five dollars each. I'm close to the city though, and was in no hurry to sell them.

7. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Thats about what they would bring around here too maybe a little less unless show quality. Too many spent or almost spent laying hens available in Iowa for only a few bucks each.

8. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Quote:I would say this is very close to what it should be in a vast area of the country, I know where I am it's real close maybe a tad bit less.

These chickens should be laying in September.I'd think they would be worth more than that,but guess I'm wrong.

Thanks for reply.

9. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Quote:Chicken/egg prices are like real estate values- location, location, and location. are you located in an urban ( higher prices) or more of an rural area? I've just sold 5 EE 8 week old pullets @ $10.00 each due to my yuppie area the price was paid with no questions asked. Eggs go for $4.00 per doz. here, sometimes living in the city has it's advantages.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:This is only my opinion:) I get 12-15$ per POL pullet ( except on rarer breeds)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by