What price for buttons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 20, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I very rarely sell any buttons, usually I don't even hatch the eggs. But I got some eggs from a few people to try and get more girls, which I did. I went from 3 girls to 13 [​IMG] However, keeping buttons is no longer 'fun' with so many. It takes a good 30 minutes just to feed and water them all, plus I keep having to cook their eggs for the birds since no one is buying any. I think I've got 60 eggs now that will be cooked in the next few days [​IMG]

I'm not sure what to sell them for, but I know I want to sell them. Single males I usually give away, but I have no idea how much to sell the pairs for. I have mostly common colors--wild, cinnamon, golden pearl--because I plan to keep my favorites (silvers, blueface, and my 'old' girls), but I do have 2 tuxedo cinnamon hens and a pied wild hen.

Any suggestions are welcome [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I dont know anything about quail, but have you tried checking out ads in the local newspaper, craigslist & nearby feed stores?

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm sure there aren't any, I've only seen buttons for sale in this area a few times.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Start selling them for a few dollars each to thin down the numbers. If they sell well, raise the price a little for your next batch. You can at least blow them out to pay for the feed. After that decide whether you are just interested in paying for feed or if you would like to make a little extra for the time and effort put in.

The prices will vary depending on where you are. What I can sell for $5 someone else can get $15 for while another person only gets $2. Feel out your market and go from there.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I eat the button quail eggs myself. [​IMG] Only takes a few minutes to crack 30 or so of them. [​IMG] They make spectacular fluffy omelets.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I'm allergic to eggs [​IMG]

7. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    This may sound gross, and I appoligize in advance if you are offended by the idea, however there are a number of snake owners out there (or ferret owners who feed whole prey/raw) that actually pay for your extra males. You just have to market to the right people.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010

Eeek! That's too bad! 'Cause they are delish!

(Was that like telling someone who can't have chocolate that chocolate is yummy?)

9. Mywifesidea

Mywifesidea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010

(Was that like telling someone who can't have chocolate that chocolate is yummy?)

[​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Oh believe me, I know what I'm missing! I developed the allergy about 8 years ago or so, I very much miss having runny-yolk eggs to dip my toast in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by