What % protein feed for layer chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hogster160, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    OK question for all of you. I started feeding my chicks Dumor poultry chick starter. Fed them maybe 20lbs. Went back to get a 50 lb bag and when I opened it I noticed it was darker. So I started looking at the packaging. What I bought is actually Dumor chick starter/grower.

The poultry chick starter:

This high protein DuMOR[​IMG] Chick Starter 24% Feed is a complete crumble formula for starting turkey and game bird chicks such as quail, pheasant and chukar, which have very high nutritional requirements early in life. Premium nutrition during this early stage of life will support strong skeletal growth, proper muscle development, beautiful feathering and will get birds off to a healthy start.
    • 24% protein rich in essential amino acids
    • Easily eaten even by tiny quail chicks

The Dumor chick starter/grower:

This DuMOR[​IMG] Chick Starter/Grower 20% Feed is a complete formula for starting chicks, ducks, and geese up to 10 weeks of age and for growing turkeys and game birds from 6 weeks to market or laying age. Premium nutrition at the correct life-stage results in strong healthy, productive birds with beautiful plumage.
    • Designed for chickens, ducks and geese from 0 to 10 weeks of age
    • Designed for turkeys, quail, pheasant and chukar from 6 to 12 weeks of age
    • Provides essential nutrients for optimum development
    • Additional vitamins and minerals are not required

Ummm...which one am I supposed to be feeding 1 and 6 week old chicks? Have I hurt them by them getting too much protien at this young age?

I am guessing its the starter/grower. I have mixed what I had left with equal parts of the new. Their poo is soft. Or should I just give the 20% straight? Is it normal for the poo to change with the protein amount/new food even though its the same brand?

Thanks,

Deb

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That feed would be just fine. No problems.

3. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by