What Qaulity To Get Fm Hollerread's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tony garza, Jul 2, 2010.

1. tony garza

tony garza Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Cross Plains, Tx
    Hi,

Way back when dirt was still new, I had two pair of calls. One pair of white and one gray. I had ordered them as adults and paid about $100/pair. They were very, very nice and were correct to breed. One night, a possum took out three of calls. So I was frustrated and didn't order any more.

This spring, I decided to give it a try again. I ordered call duck hatching eggs and got 15 eggs and had 9 hatch. Boy was I disappointed. Really a diverse mixture of colors and sizes. Only one I would dare say was a typical call duck with a small square body and small bill. The rest of them looked long, slim and long bills. I think I'll try getting some good quality call ducks for next spring from Hollerread's. My question is they have four types of quality - utility, show breeder, show and elite show. If I order the utility grade, will I get a small, square body, short bill duck?? Or do I have to go to a higher quality?? I'm thinking of getting only three pair - white, gray and BEI.

I value y'alls opinions. Thanks,

Tony

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    From Holderreads, all the ducks are going to be nice. I'd splurge on a show or show breeder quality though. The elites are too rich for my blood. [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I ordered my runner ducklings from them this year. My first ducks ever and ordered the Top Show Quality. It was worth the extra $1.75 each. They are just amazing. Now admitedly I know very little about ducks, but they are just beautiful to look at. I am very impressed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  4. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Depends. Do you want to take a raw material and refine it into your own quality line? or start off with the best and try to maintain it?

Can you get show quality hens and then spring for an elite drake?

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You get what you pay for, even from Holdereads. The "utility" grade I would expect to be pet ducks. BTW Black East Indies aren't Calls. It's a seperate breed.

6. rockyspringsfarm

rockyspringsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    Huntington, Texas
    I received 11 Welsh Harlequin ducklings from Holderread about three weeks ago from their top show quality breedings. I'm no expert by any means on ducks but these are truly excellent. I have not had the first problem with any one of them. They are growing like weeds.I have always believed in starting with the best you can find, the best you can afford. If their other breeds are as good as these Harlequins then their calls should be excellent as well. This was my first order with Holderread but considering the quality I received in this order I will definitely be doing business with them again.

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Holderread's are not known for their Calls, but I have been fairly surprised by the quality of Calls I have seen from them. I have not bought Calls from them myself. I have purchased lots of other stock from them though (adults and ducklings) of various breeds, including most of their bantam breeds. In the adult birds, the lower price range is going to be pet quality for the most part. In the next price up, the birds are good, but again generally have a few faults. The next price range up from that is probably what you want if you want birds that are small and of good type (and color too for that matter). I would just wait until Fall and see what they have. They quite often do not have adult birds in all price ranges anyway. At any rate, the birds that I have purchased from them as adults that I would consider to be of show/breeder potential have generally been at least in the $75-$100 range per bird.

8. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I bought a pair of breeder/show quality blue fawn calls from Holderreads last November. With shipping it ended up being about $140. If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't. I did not have a photo of the birds prior to purchase and I thought the beaks were a little long and the heads (especially on the female) too small. When you purchase this quality it is really for the potential of what the birds offspring could be. We hatched out a few babies this year and they were not too bad for typing. Again, I would go local if possible. You can actually see what you are getting. I went to a show in January and bought another 7 calls for a heck of a lot less and got to pick them out myself on their body typing. Good luck.

9. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I think if you are really in to showing you will be disappointed going with anything less than elites. My breeder/show quality are lovely ducks, but definitely require a little breeding patience if you are looking for that near perfect duck. I've had both a male and female Runner duck from Holderreads who were outstanding (REALLY very special) in their individual looks, but I'm not sure they were suited for show or breeding. I don't want to take away from their program, they are definitely at outstanding, but I think we all have to pay our dues in the pursuit of perfection.

10. tony garza

tony garza Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Cross Plains, Tx
    I would rather buy call ducks locally but I just can't find any. Even back when I had them before, I had to order them sight unseem. I live in west Tx and can't find any call breeders in this area. I'm willing to drive up to 300 miles to find some. If anyone knows of any call duck breeders in northern Tx, southern OK or eastern NM, please let me know. Thanks for any info.

Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by