what quality are my cochin chicks...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gumbii, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i really want to know if these guys are going to have that round cochin butt or the pointy cochin butt... LOL...

i got them at this local ranch/hatchery, but they only have a small number of these guys available compared to their new red stars and new hampshires... i drove across LA county to get these too... they only had 8 4 week olds, and i took them all...

here is when i first got them...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here they are yesterday while i was giving them some cabbage... i think 8weeks old...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so what do you guys think...? i noticed they have a lot of feathers on their feet... some pics of cochin chicks i see on here don't have this much... i also couldn't see the parents, so i dunno if they are good quality, or whatever quality... i'm not expecting show quality birds, but i would want these fuzzy butts to turn into round butts...

thanks...

edit: these were sold to me as giant cochins... is that the same as standard cochins, like slang for them...? or are these going to be bigger than standard cochins...? thx...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    They are looking pretty round (some of them). Probably not "show quality" round, but it will be MUCH easier to tell when they are older. [​IMG]

3. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    thx...

i guess i'm getting a bit ancy... LOL...

so is there a difference between LF cochin and giant cochin...?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, I suppose if they are from a hatchery, it is to be expected to receive hatchery-quality stock [​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Cochins come in bantam & large fowl, no giants.

As to the birds pictured they're too young to evaluate other than for obvious disqualifications. That said, some appear to have vulture hocks which is a d/q.

6. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:i understand that... but i just wanted to know if they were going to have round behinds... these are gonna be my egg flocks...

Quote:Cochins come in bantam & large fowl, no giants.

As to the birds pictured they're too young to evaluate other than for obvious disqualifications. That said, some appear to have vulture hocks which is a d/q.

what's vulture hocks...? like the vulture face...? LOL...

i never said i wanted them to be show quality... these people say they have been breeding them for years now... but i didn't get to see their parents... so i wanted to know if they were the same as LARGE production hatchery quality, or something a bit nicer... but i guess there's only show quality or hatchery quality right...? there's no in between...????

hahahahhahahjasdklf;jsadlsd...

and like i said... i'm not gonna show these... they are gonna be my egg layers... and broodys too... i show OEGB and that's enough for me... but it would be nice to have round butts...

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think it is safer to say that there is hatchery stock quality, and breeder quality and just because someone started out with those a long time ago does not make them breeders, it simply means they hatch some birds. It is quite safe to say that if you want better than average stock you need to look for a person breeding for the standard whether they show or not. So yes they seem to come in two fairly distinct categories. yours appear to be quite ordinary hatchery type stock from what I can tell at this age.

some years ago I got some from a fellow board person, he did not show, but got his start from very good birds, they were awesome, they werent for me so I sold them

8. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    cool...

are they gonna have round butts..??

LOL...

okay thanks... in every post i put up, i said i didn't expect show quality... i just wanted to know if they were going to have round butts... but it looks like i'm gonna have to wait and find out... i found out what vulture hoks are and yeah, some of them have them... i don't really mind them, i think they look sillier with them so it's cool with me... they're happy, i'm happy i have them... can't wait to eat their eggs, and maybe them... hopefully they will have round butts...

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Will they have round butts? Will they have round butts? I bet you know the only logical answer to that--only the future will tell.[​IMG] I've been rubbing my bald head, but "it ain't no crystal ball." Viewing the parent stock would have been your only way of knowing for sure.

10. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    yeah, but they don't let people look at their chickens... and they're on the opposite side of the hatching/holding spot... oh well... gonna go back for some turkey poults in a couple of weeks... maybe i'll talk them into letting me see them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by