What quality are my Light brahmas(bought at auction, but appear nice)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by taraann81, Nov 3, 2010.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi everybody! I got a roo and three Light Brahma hens at an auction(late last winter for $6 each). They were 6 months old when I bought them and was surprised to see them there(usually full of leghorn roos and spent hens, not the best place)! I had wanted light Brahmas for awhile and was planning on ordering some from a hatchery here in Ontario. Well after doing some research and seeing lots of light Brahma pics I think I may have better than Hatchery quality! Hoping for breeding quality! I can take the criticism and we love them regardless of the quality they are( we have too, they certainly aren't satying on their laying abilities, each hen only lays about once every 3 days...brats)

This is our Roo Dallas...excuse his tail feathers we have a nasty lone male guinea that adopted us and is constantly picking at Dallas's tail. The yellowy color you see in his feathers is dirt he is sparkling white when he is clean, so please disregard it!
    [​IMG]

One of our hens, Debbie( all three hens are actually named Debbie, we can't really tell them apart)
    [​IMG]

Dallas...Always the gentleman, showing one of the Debbies a treat!
    [​IMG]

2 of the Debbies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Very nice. [​IMG]

There are a lot of angles I don't see too well, so I'm just going to ask - Do they have a good dewlap? (hanging skin between the waddles) It looks like the have a nice crown. . When they stand, do the females have a back that rises to the tail nice and even? How long are their legs?

Otherwise, they look far better than hatchery quality, most definitely. Do you know how much they weigh?

3. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Yes they have a good dewlap, is that a positive(so much to learn)? I'm not sure about leg length..Would I actually measure or is it length in comparison to their bodies..not sure what I should be looking for there or even what type of pic might illustrate it. I actually weighted Dallas in August and he was pushing 12 lbs(I think it was 11lbs, 9oz...I've never weighted the hens. They are smaller than him but I would guess they would be 9-9.5 lbs(maybe as low as 8 or as high as 10).... I'm horrible at estimation but I know they are lighter than Dallas but quite alot heavier than our standard Barred rocks(if that helps [​IMG]I may just have to break out the scales. What is the appropriate weight for their standard?

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hens should be 9 lbs, but at the least 7 1/2 lbs. Cocks should be over 10 lbs.

The dewlap is indeed a good thing. [​IMG]

As for leg length - It is measured in proportion to the body. You want legs that rather straight and well spread apart, with a length that is proportionate and balanced with the body.

5. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thank you! I will weight the hens to see where they fit in the weight for the breed standard. So is it a negative that Dallas is so large(outside the standard). Also could you put a name to the quality? I want to be honest when advertising hatching eggs /chicks come spring . Would I say "from breeding quality parents" ?

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    The official forum of the american brahma club is attached to a website which, due to this site's regulations, I cannot post. If you wanted a critique from someone who raises them, you could post pics there.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  8. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Thank you, I didn't think I was allowed to post the link to the site where the board is located.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I just posted the link to the American Brahma club

Chris

10. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I thought it was moved to showbird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by