What Quality are my new chickens?? Silky and Banty Cochin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mossfamilyfarm, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    So... I just bought three new chickens today and was *told* that they have all placed in a recent show. I didnt ask for confirmation or anything like that because they were practically given to me. I was told that the silky took 1st, the buff also took 1st and the black took 3rd. Do you all think they are show quality? If they are I am going to continue to show them, and if not, they will be yard ornaments [​IMG] And... the silky normally holds his wings tighter, but he was hot and holding them out... Thanks!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    idk a thing about shows but those silkie roos look maybe high end pet quality becouse im pretty sure show silkies (even roos) dont show any comb but they are definitly better then my hatchery quality

3. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    What kind of show was it?
    The cochins look to be a tad young to show, they need to fill out more to get an accurate "critique" on them [​IMG]

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Don't know one silky from another but your cochin though young, is in my opinion destined to be a pretty nice hatchery bird. I had some good ones once and there is a huge difference

5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, show silkies are meant to show their comb [​IMG] But it is very red-ish so I'd say pet quality. Dont ask me about Cochins...lol

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
  7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I don't know anything about showng, either, but your silkie is very beautiful. Of course, I am partial to silkies!![​IMG] I don't have any right now, but I have a feeling there will be some in my future-----say, next spring?[​IMG] If they aren't show quality, you have some very pretty yard ornaments! Personally, that's all I care about.

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    those cochins are bantams?

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The silkies comb is way to light, especially for a white bird, his wattles are also too big, they should be hardly noticible on a bearded bird, his comb is too bumpy, and his wings look a little odd but that could be just the way he is holding them.

10. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    haha... I discovered that the cochins are not bantams last night. It was a huge dumb moment, lol... I thought about my bantam cochin hens I was like... the is no way that these are bantys... especially since they are still young... opps! And... once I looked in my email, the girl never said bantam cochin, she said cochin, I guess I wanted more banty cochins babdly enough that I imagined they were bantys til we got home and I started thinking... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by