What Quality is my Black Rosecomb Roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1lpoock, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Just wondering....here is a picture!

[​IMG]

2. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Here's the standard with DQs and defects listed.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not a terrible head, lobes could be a bit bigger. He appears to have a lot of purple sheen to his feathers. This is not desireable.. He's out of condition so it's hard to tell for sure but his tail seems a bit pinched. Ideally his tail feathers would be wider.

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    What do you mean by out of condition...sorry new to this

5. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    I think They might mean just out running around, they get ruffled and feathers get damaged a bit. I dont show these birds but had a freind who did. months befor show they made comfortable pens well ventilated bright area and feed for condition both meat and feathers like adding sunflower seeds and a little oil and during that time a higher protien feed to brighten everything up minimizing feather damage. If I remember right , they lined lower quadrent of conditioning pen with cardboard or smooth plywood , so the chicken wire behind wouldt damage feathers.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The tail and wing feathers are split and raged. He needs to go through a good molt and maybe put on a good hi-protein feed and a little bit of black oiled sunflower seed for added oil and plenty of water..
    Like nyreds said his earlobs should be bigger and he has alot of purple sheen to him. could be just that he is on a high corn diet

Chris

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I agree with what everyone else has said. The "purple sheen" is not desirable. It should be beetle green sheen. He looks like he has a nice "valley" where his tail connects to his body. That curve is desirable.. many have a harsh break which forms a "v" shape. His tail may be in the process of growing out. Rosecombs feather slowly. How long have you had him? I would put him on a high protein diet like a gamebird feed. Oils are good as well as vitamins. I feed mine tons of table scraps. I roast a chicken or turkey every couple a weeks in the Winter and I always put the carcass in the rosecomb run to pick clean. Some say this "just ain't right" [​IMG] But, the protein is great for them. Let's face it. Chickens are scavengers.

As for his head, he has a nice angle on his comb. His lobes are a bit small but nice and round... he may be young. His legs are a bit light. The standard calls for dark slate. That may just be the camera. There is something wierd about his overall shape. Rosecombs have prominent chests and a tight wing carriage covering some of the thigh but not the hock. They are compact, proud looking birds. Overall, I think you have a decent bird.

8. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    He is about 20 something weeks old...cant remember exactly....I'm sure he is still growing his tail feathers...but I definitely will get him mor protein...thanks for the opinions!

9. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    This is a super educational post!! Thanks to all you experts for real insights. I'm not a breeder, but the show birds are fascinating, and it's always fun to learn more. That's why I'm SO hooked on BYC!

But now I have questions, too. (all your fault![​IMG])

Is it feeding the causes the green or purple sheen in the feathers? I've known for a while that purple is not desirable, but I've always wondered why.

And this bird's ear lobes look HUGE to my untrained eye!! MsBear, could you post a picture of one of yours to show what you're describing?

Thanks!

maggie

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    This pic shows a nice-typed roo though Im not satisfied with his tail... should be bigger though he does have wide feathers which is another necessity for a good rosecomb. His wing carriage is nice.. just above the hock
    [​IMG]

This hen shows a nice head though her lobes are not round enough
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of some girls on the run. It's important to catch birds in a natural pose to judge accordingly. I like to stand outside with my birds and watch them peck and eat and this is how I choose my keepers.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the beetle green sheen which is genetic. I have had birds hatch from the same clutch that grew different sheens. ...some have lots of green.. some minimal, some have hints of purple but are mostly green (acceptable) and some have more purple.. those get the boot. Someone said it could be the diet. That has not been my experience but that may be apart of it.
    [​IMG]

I hope 1pook doesnt mind all the pics.. I tend to get excited about my birds. [​IMG] and there isn't a big rosecomb crowd here on byc so Im always happy to hear folks chatting about them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by