1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What r my chances of rearing chicks natural? no incubater

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joann, May 3, 2008.

1. joann

joann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Brooksville
    I have 7 White Rock, 1 Roaster and 2 banty's.[​IMG] I wait to raise them for meat and eggs.[​IMG] Will they repoduce all by themself and rear own young?[​IMG]

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That's what I was wondering, that will they reproduce with no intervention from me.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    They will as long s your hens go broody. I think white rocks are a broody breed,but that is no gaunantee that they will.It depends on how much you plan on depending on them. Most hens can cover 12 eggs fairly easy. The problem is that you can't schedule them. They go broody on their own schedule. I have 4 broody marans hens now and they care not one whit that I am selling the eggs they are supposed to be laying.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    In 20 years I have only had 1 broody hen. One. 1.

I would love to do it nature's way but nature won't cooperate!

There is no gaurentee you hens will ever go broody. Some just don't.

I hope you get at least one and the others will lay eggs for you. [​IMG]

5. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Oh my! I had a little "picture" in my head about some of my hens just laying eggs and some of them hatching out little fluff balls and everything just perfect. The fact that miss priss has only had 1 broody hen is totally squishing my picture heehee, thanks for the reality check maybe I'll be investing in a incubator after all.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Porr MissPrissy, on the other hand,I have 4 broody hens right now. I usually have 12-15 go broody each year.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I've never had white rocks so I know nothing about them, but my banty hens are raising their second brood already this year. First time I let them raise their own breed, oegb banties, but on the second time one hatched 4 Polish for me and the other hen is setting on 4 Barred Rock eggs.

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Best incubator going is a good silkie hen. She will try her best to hatch a marble if it is her nest. Mostly it depends on the breed, but ALL hens will go broody. If they didn't, we would not have any chickens today. We didn't have incubators a undred years ago. If you handle your hens to much they won't go broody. They must be left alone at this time. If they are disturbed, they will go to another nest and keep moving until they either hatch an egg or stop brooding. Last year I had 275 haens go broody at the same time. They his their nest in the field away from the coops. Never want that to happen again, although the money from the chicks was good. Put a fake egg in your hen's nest and leave her be and she will go briidy is waht I am saying.

9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I have 3 california whites and a black austrolorp and a SLW (I think) does anybody know those breeds usually go broody? I only want a few more so I can't get crazy my DH will go crazy! [​IMG]

Oh that's a good idea (plastic egg thing)!

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I've had lots of bantams go broody over the years, but like people said, it's unpredictable. I would invested in a bator or buy chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by