What r we? *PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by S n M Poultry, Jun 24, 2008.

1. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    i hatched these 2 little guys from secret eggs. Any idea what they r? they have beards and featherd legs. But no crests that i can tell so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I say Buff Brahmas or Partridge Cochins.

3. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Ive had both those breeds and they look nothing like that. Im leaning toward Millie fluer duccles but not 100% posative

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Checking the chick pictures on feathersite those were the closest matches I could find. The look a little big to be bantams. Do you have a picture of them with something that might give an indication to their size? I've had Belgain Quail d' Anvers and they started life much smaller than those chicks unless those aren't a few days old. And by then bantams are usually starting to feather.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    they are too dark for Millre Fleur D'Uccles. Could they be some kind of Favorelle?

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I looked on feathersite and the chicks looked pretty dark there too. I have d'uccles and I just didnt think they were that dark but who knows

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Check their combs. Pea would rule out cochins, faverolles, etc and suggest they are probably brahmas. (I'm wondering dark brahmas? but cannot see combs..)

Could it be they are mutts or basically pure breds of different colors crossed?

8. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Hmm they arnt brahmas because they have beards. They might be some kind of favorelle but i dont think so. Her is a standard size chick the same age in the exact spot as the ??? chicks: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I belive them to be bantams. but here you can kinda see the comb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  9. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    It looks like a single comb to me

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree bantam... Mille Fleurs...ummm, they do seem a little dark... but mine was a hatchery bird, I think private breeders probably have better stock... and they DO look like some Mille Fleur d'Uccle chicks I've seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by