1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What raising chickens means to you

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mifferette, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Mifferette

Mifferette New Egg

Nov 25, 2010
    Hey Everyone,

I am writing an academic paper on municipalities' chicken bylaws. I was hoping for some answers to a couple of questions that I have.

I am most interested to find out what raising backyard chickens means to you. How has it affected or impacted your life in any way?

What impact do you think bylaws that allow this means to future food production and local food systems?

Thanks, any replies are much appreciated!

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Having my own chickens means being able to provide myself and family with the freshest, safest eggs, from birds who are humanely treated. I know they are humanely treated because I have complete control over their care. Beyond that, they are pets who have given me many years of enjoyment, natural bug control and fertilizer. Chickens allow me to be more self-reliant, live a healthier, more natural life, which in turn is better for the earth.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Having chickens to me means I am just a tad bit closer to self-sufficiency (Kansaseq explains it well!). I don't think that cities allowing chickens will affect the food supply much if any. Most people with chickens are in areas that allow chickens. Those people that aren't will be a minority in the area....most people buy store bought eggs. So, if ABC cities allows chickens, it will still be a small percentage that choose to raise their own flock compared to the percentage that will still go to the store. I wish it were the opposite....that a small minority bought store bought, but that isn't the case and while chickens are becoming increasingly popular, the majority of our population still prefers the convenience of the store.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Yep
    X3
    Could not word it better myself
    ON

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:X4 just how I feel.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    For me it started out as a statement. I was not going to promote battery chicken egg business, but I love eggs so I got chickens. Now taking care of my chickens is a labor of love. I like the idea of knowing where my eggs come from too. And my grandkids are learning where their food comes from. I live in the ciry but my grandkids ages 5,4,3 and 7 months want to come to grandmas farm to see the chickens. So what started as a statement has turned into something special for all of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by