What Raptor is this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TammyTX, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    That is the right word? Raptor?

He was on my fence just a few moments ago...does he smell little chicks or what?

I looked quickly on the web but I didn't see anything like him/her.

[​IMG]

**I forgot to add it was just a bit larger than a dove**

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Looks like a Kestrel to me.

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you. I would have never guessed that.

He looks like the photos on the web but he doesn't have quite the same coloring...maybe because he's all puffed up. He is very pretty.

To do list.....see if Kestrels eat chickens....![​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I think they are also known as sparrow hawks. I read a post on here once saying that one hit the head of a full grown chicken so hard it took it off. I had one land on my car once with a mouse in it's talons.

5. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, that is an American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) also known as the Sparrow Hawk. They can't take off with standard sized chickens, but they will go after chicks and small bantams. It is related to the Merlin wich is smaller and more dull in coloring. This is why Merlins will be mistaken for female Kestrels.

Here I'll get you some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Without a doubt it's a kestrel. It's got to be one of the prettiest birds around. I love watching them.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We have a lot of them around here. They are really neat birds. I have everything protected here from the large hawks that I have, so I dont know if they would bother my birds or not. They never have, but my birds are under cover.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they'd have to be truly desperate to try for a chicken... a chick is more their size, but I'll bet he's watching for mice and chipmunks that are scavenging your chicken feed. They're not only small, they're very light. mice and grasshoppers is more their norm. I'm not sure how good they'd be at sparrows, I've always wondered about that name (sparrowhawk), a friend who is a bigtime birdwatcher said he thinks it's because they're so small like a sparrow is small (in comparison to other raptors), not because they eat sparrows. I'm not sure though.

9. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I have them at my house. We enjoy watching them. In the summer In the summer they catch the really big grasshoppers then sit on the powerlines to enjoy their snack.

10. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    A kestrel dove into the back of my field yesterday while I was out there, and snatched a robin off the ground. It was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by