What % relative humidity should I have in the incubator for a dry hatc

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scott Turner, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    I want to try and hatch eggs this time using the dry method. i was wondering what should the relative humidity show in the incubator for the hatch to be successful. The three hatches that I have happen this year were at about 70% hatched rate and most of the eggs were shipped. There were several eggs that didn't hatch and the chicks were fully formed but never pipped the eggs so they died during the last three days and I am assuming it was due to humidity being too high. I am also going to try and let the eggs hatch in an egg carton this time to see how that goes. Any advice and answers will be greatly appreciated.
    Scott Turner

2. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    I used about 35% humidity for the first 18 days then upped it to 60% for the last days of hatch. It worked for me and I got a 50% hatch out of the 4 eggs I set. When I set the eggs I didn't add ANY water or wet sponges.

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I do dry hatch method. Basically I keep it around 30 - 35 percent during incubation, and 60 - 65 percent during hatch. I don't use the red plugs at all during incubation. I let the water dry out during incubation, and add water a little water when it gets below 19 percent. For lockdown, I fill both troughs ( I have a hovabator) and don't open the incubator for any reason during lockdown. Once the eggs start hatching the humidity will go up naturally. If I'm having trouble during lockdown with the humidity I'll use the red plugs. Usually only need to use one if I do.

The weather makes a difference also. Right now it's very humid so I havent had to add any water at all yet. The humidity is a little higher than I like, but not too bad. I've just been keeping a close eye on it.

Where ever you are will make a difference with the humidity levels. So, experiment a little, and see what works best. Keep good notes in a notebook, so you can keep track for the next time you hatch eggs, and make adjustments.

Bluemoon

4. Scott Turner

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    The reading in my incubator is at 20% would you recommend adding water to it?

5. Bluemoon420

You could add a little bit if you feel it's a little low. Maybe like a 1/4 of a cup. Just leave the plugs out, and let it stabilize. Then let it dry down again.

Bluemoon

6. Bluemoon420

Probably should add, I watch the air sacs when I candle. If they seem too small on whatever day I candle, The humidity is too high. If the are too large, I figured out the humidity is too low. If that makes sense. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

7. Scott Turner

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks
    Have you ever tried to let the chicks hatch by putting the eggs in an egg carton in the incubator. Do you have any pointers about this?

8. Bluemoon420

Yep, I use during lockdown, I use the cardboard cartons. Some folks cut holes in the bottom of the cups. I don't, but I do cut the sides of the cups down a little. For air flow. I space mine out in the cups also. So each egg isn't next to each other, but sometimes space is an issue. So, I won't do it everytime. They have hatched either way.

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by