What ride do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mare?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gelding?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stud?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

So, what's your ride?

2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    To be honest it depends on the horse! I'd prefer mare or gelding over stud, not every place allows studs and I don't like being restricted.

My current riding horse is a mare, my driving mini is a stud.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    As I said in your other thread, I definitely prefer Mares, but that doesn't mean I haven't met a bunch of great geldings as well. I just feel I can get a whole lot closer with a mare. My first horse was a 6 year old mare and we lost her when she was 13. My current horse is a 5 year old mare and I fell in love with her the day we brought her home. We were told she was nasty and unpredictable, but that horse has had more respect for me than any of our others.

We also have a 2 1/2 yr old mare and I'm not sure yet of her personality. She's still maturing and I think she'll turn out to be a nice horse. Our old gelding is between 25 and 27 and he's the sweetest horse you'll ever meet. He wouldn't hurt a fly and the worst he does is trip while you're riding him. Our other gelding is probably about 7 or 8 and I clashed a lot with him when we first got him. Turns out his diet was causing a lot of the nastiness and now he's a totally different horse. I actually get along quite well with him now. He still has his moments, but some of it is because I haven't worked enough with him in the round pen. He definitely gets along better with my dad, but I'm usually the one who rides him on the trail. He HATES ring work though. He gets so frustrated. Out on the trail I feel more than comfortable on him!

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I'm so used to mares that I really don't want anything else. They have more personality and spirit than geldings. Mine gets mare-ish, but not uncontrollable. I know many people prefer geldings, especially for professional work like school horses, mounted police and cowboys

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Mares. I love mine and don't want to ride anything else. I know when horses are used as part of a job geldings are preferred (cowboys, mounted police)

6. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Stallions aren't for everyone, however, I seam to always end up riding one.

My current one is an absolute joy to be around and ride.

I have ridden mares and geldings and with ANY gender, it depends on the horse.

If my boy wasn't such a puppy dog, he would be a gelding. I get compliments on his manners frequently and even have the under carriage check quite often from experienced equestrians to 'be sure' he is all boy.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Also as said in your other thread I prefer mares and always have for the same reasons michickenwrangler stated.I find geldings to be dull and often dumb. I get that many like them because they are easily told what to do but I really like a smart mare!

I always seem to be in the minority although my closest longtime horse friends also seem to prefer them for the same reasons statd.i have had a lot of horses and only ONE was mareish when in heat.

Perhaps though the reasons I don't have mare issues is because we have no geldings.I often can not tell my girls are in heat till we go to a show or parade.

8. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    My closest horse friend says : "ASK a stallion, TELL a gelding, NEGOTIATE with a mare" I think that is right on and I like that negotiate with a mare.

9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

NO to crabby mares!!!! I have teenagers for those moments I'm craving hormones and drama! [​IMG]

10. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    I prefer mares.

Now, I've fallen in love with some very sweet and intelligent geldings, but there's something about ze mares...

When I think of buying a horse, personality and ability come before gender. Likewise, not all stals are freaks -- I used to know a saddlebred stallion who could be worked in an arena near a mare in heat and do naught but steal a quick glance at her. Ya'd never know he was intact. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've also had the (dis)pleasure of meeting some very studly and dangerous geldings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by