What rodent is digging holes in my aviary??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BinaryChicken, Nov 28, 2013.

1. BinaryChicken

BinaryChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

For the last 4 months or so some sort of rodent has been tunnelling all around my aviary making holes everywhere, and leaving a lot of dirt in its wake. It has not harmed the birds but it is getting very annoying with all the holes that have been dug and it is still digging at least one each night. What rodent could be doing this???

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Do you have an apron around the run to keep diggers out? After ensuring that an animal cannot dig its way into the run, worrying about what is digging becomes less important.

If you would post a photograph of the digging, perhaps someone could help identify it from its handiwork.

Chris

3. BinaryChicken

There is fence buried a foot deep around the whole thing, I will try and get photos soon.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    This time of year my first guesses would be rats and/or mice, though they don't usually leave real piles of dirt. Chipmunks shouldn't really be active now.

5. BinaryChicken

Well here are some photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think it's stuck in your aviary and trying to get out, or is it going from out to in (and visa versa)?

7. BinaryChicken

those photos are of holes on the outside as well as the inside, so no, it is not stuck, I'm not particularly worried about having it, it's just a pain.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Those really look like rat holes to me.

9. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Moles or voles. Most irritating. I have them also. I push the dirt tunnels back down when I see them, but they are usually back up the next day. Once in awhile I will see the earth moving and have had success digging the mole out if I can cut off his escape routes first. Doesn't happen very often though. If you can get some bait down that hole where the chickens can't reach it, you can try that to eliminate the varmits.

10. BinaryChicken

Okay everyone, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by