What "roo" features trump the others?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macmama, Jul 5, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    My SLWs are growing up fast-- almost 5 weeks old now. One has been an obvious roo from early on. He is now significantly bigger than the other 4, and has a big bumpy red comb and wattles, as well as ginormous legs.
    There are 2 others who have some red in their combs, but the "signs" aren't all there for roo. For both other questionable roos, they have normal sized legs (the same as my 2 obvious pullets). They also have only teeny pale waddles that look like my pullets. One of the questionable ones has the same feather patterning as my roo (lots of silver) and one has the same feather patterning as my pullets.
    Oh what to do! I'm giving away my roos, and I'd love to give them all together because I REALLY need to downsize the chicken population, but I hate to give away pullets. Here are some bad pics-- let me know what you'd do.

The Definite Roo:
    [​IMG]

?? on left, tree-trunk roo on right (pullet in background, other ?? in far background):
    [​IMG]

All 3 together (for sure roo in back):
    [​IMG]

2. irenew

irenew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    hard to separate from the photos but I think I see a lot of roos here. Feather patterns don't matter on SLW they can be pale or dark with their first feathers it isn't an indication. Anything with pink on the comb is a rooster from an early age. the girls don't colour up till they are reaching sexual maturity. I had some that were pink early on and then it faded they were still roos-not the dominant ones and they crowed in the end so they were only trying to fool me (and the dominant ones) So yeah it would go pinkish comb, then slightly raised , then waddles and reddening then cock a doodle doo.

3. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Maybe I'll just give away the roo and the 2 suspects. The one suspect has much less pink and no bumpiness, but is probably just a later-maturing roo. The 4th one just now (at 5 weeks) is starting to get a teeny bit of color around the edges of her comb. The 5th is completely dark. I hope I don't have 4 roos! I'll update with pictures of each in a minute.

Okay, here is my most iffy one in the very back. He has much less red than the obvious roo on the left, and isn't bumpy at all. You still think roo for this one? Also the one on the bottom right is just now starting to have a tiny bit of color on the very edges of its comb. Please tell me it's not roo #4!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    There is a good thread on this "What Breed Or Gender is This?" section on sexing SLWs. Seems like there is some really good info there. Honestly, I have no idea on the sex of your birds...

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
  6. irenew

irenew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    I am still going with the one at the front a definite roo, the one at the back 95% definite and the other at the front ,my right as I look at it hopefully a hen, yeah it looks more henny

7. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I think this one, front right, is a hen. Not sure. I'm referring to the lastest picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by