1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Roo & Hen creates a Cornish Rock?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Glos Girls, May 29, 2016.

1. Glos Girls

Glos Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Hello, we have been raising Cornish Rocks which we have purchased but would love to hatch our own. What Roo & Hen creates a Cornish Rock meat bird? Thank you [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The current Cornish Cross meat bird was created by breeding a Cornish with a White Rock in the 1950’s, then specialized geneticists began a selective breeding process. Since then they have created four different flocks, each specialized to provide one of the grandparents of the current meat bird. You take a rooster from one of these specific flocks and cross him with a female from another specific flock and you produce the father of the meat bird. You do the same thing to provide the mother of the meat bird.

There are no two breeds you can cross to get the current Cornish Rock, Cornish Cross, Cornish X broiler. It is a long involved process the current commercial chicken meat corporations have spent millions of dollars and decades of development to produce.

2 people like this.
  3. GoldApps

GoldApps Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Missouruh
    Try a Delaware roo and a white Rock hen and breed the fat ones for a few generations

4. Glos Girls

May 19, 2014
    Thank you both, this will give us something to work on. It will be fun seeing what we come up with. We have raised layers for 4 years now, so adding something new will be exciting.

5. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    I think you're going to need a lot of extra chickens, and a lot of paperwork. You're not going to be breeding from any of your crossed birds, so you need to breed the parents often enough to determine the quality of the offspring. You could have the biggest and healthiest parent chicken, but if it keeps producing chicks with a tendency to maul each other then it's a pollutant in the gene pool.

6. a704

a704 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    NE ohio
    Yeah you kind of need to recreate the wheel on this one unless you have an insider working in the chicken industry

1 person likes this.
  7. Glos Girls

May 19, 2014
    Ha!! I wish I did know someone, but bet they are sworn to secrecy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by