What roofing will stop hawks in a 6' chainlink pen?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Zahboo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am trying my hardest to predator proof my chicken pen. The pen is like 40x30. I am wondering what is the cheapest, yet safest way to cover to top. It still needs to allow the 2 single gates and the double gate to open. This is where I get messed up. They all open into the run, so I am unsure. I was thinking of removing the decoration over the top and useing 2x4's to prace it. Does this make sense or will it be okay with out it. I was thinking of using deernetting

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Deer netting will work, until it gets snowed on.

3. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I've seen other posts and they have said deer netting wont stop a determined hawk; they'll rip right through it. Try chicken wire or some other kind of netting made of something stronger like nylon. [​IMG]

4. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    We have aot of hawks and I use deer netting. Never had one even try to get to my bantams. The snow will rip it if it gets real heavy but its cheap enough you can replace it and if you buy the rolls that are 7ft wide sometimes you luck up and only have to replace one section.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Snow? What's snow? We rarely ever get snow! LOL. I've heard mixed reviews on it. The hawks here only get free meals, don't really try that hard...

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    if coons are not a problem chicken wire will work.
    a few posts in the center and some simple framework will do.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have deer netting on my chain link coop, works like a champ against hawks. They havent even tried it. It wont keep coons out, tho. So if you use deer netting, you need a secure coop for them at night.

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I have a 12X12 dog kennel I house our chickens in (their coop is inside of it as well) and we have the entire thing ran with chicken wire across the top, sides and gate with hardwire around the bottom 1.5 feet. We used plastic ties to secure sections together for the roof portion as well as securing the wire to the chain link - over the roof, we do have it "tented" with a "T" made of wood, secured to their coop roof to pop up the wire and the tarp that covers the entire kennel. This prevents any water and/or snow from getting inside the pen and collapsing. With the snow, we just go out and brush it off (anything over 2 inches) with a broom.

No issues yet and we have a pair of nesting red tail hawks in our back yard - and yesterday I saw a bald eagle flying around our property as well.

So long as you support the wire, you'll be okay. Plastic deer netting - I wouldnt use personally - something can get right through that by chewing faster than it can chicken wire, not to mention there is no structural support with it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    The only thing I have to figure out is the coop is 8 foot tall, and I will have to attach the deer netting to it. Does anyone have pictures of deer netting on their runs?

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by