What rooster can I breed other then RIR to get good layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonsccm, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 9 hens right now 3 red comets 3 Buffs and 3 black sex links. I have been very impressed with the black sex links. But I have been wanting to breed chickens to replace my flock. I know that sexlinks don't breed true, I was thinking of getting barred rocks but I don't want to have a RIR rooster because of bad experience and I have small kids. They seem to be mean. Is there a gental rooster that I can put with barred rocks and get great egg layers? Or if someone is having success with a exceptional egg laying self sustaining flock how did you do it.

P.S. I plan on using silkies as brooding hens.

2. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

By the way I live in upstate South Carolina it does not get that cold here

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You can use any red factor rooster, such as a Production Red, New Hampshire Red, or RIR. You might try the RIR despite their reputation and past experience. I had a hatchery RIR from Murray McMurray that was a very good boy. Gentle with the hens, good at watching for hawks, never made a single aggressive move towards me or the kids. We had him for four years before we lost him to a systemic infection last year.

You can also make sex-linked crosses with a lot of birds you may not have thought of. Here is an old-but-great BYC thread about making sex-links that I think will be just what you need. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

We keep several roosters for different reasons. Usually a white Leghorn or RIR for egg production, a Marans to make dark eggs (nice when crossed with white Leghorns) and a true Ameraucana to make EEs. We sell eggs, and the rainbow carton is our trademark. We don't make sex links, although that would be nice. We just put boys in the meat pen as we are able to sex them. Some take more maturing than others.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't judge all RIR roo's based on this guy, our RIR roo was extremely calm and never attacked once.. didn't even do too much damage to our girls.
    Every roo is different!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Barred rocks are fantastic layers. But the best layers ofall are crosses (mutts). Since you already have crosses (black sex link and Golden comets), any rooster will work well to give you great layers.

Barred rock roosters have a nice temperament, as do several other breeds, but ANY rooster can have issues with children. Children make erratic movements and noises, which can trigger the roosters instinct to defend his flock. I had a rooster that would attack only me, he was fine with my kids, my DH, even strangers, but for some reason he chose me to go after. I have been flogged at hip level and I'm 5'8" tall. That is face level for a small child, and trust me, it happens lightening fast. This became a regular occurrence that I could not correct, so he is no longer here. My children are and never have been allowed to go into the runs without me present. It's just not worth it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with this. My kids aren't allowed into the chicken pasture without an adult, either. They are 3 and 7 years old.

That being said, my roosters have never put a foot wrong around my kids.

We are of the opinion that you do not make friends with roosters. They are expected to move away when we move towards them, and I never, ever pet them or try to make them "tame." IMO, that's how you get a rooster that doesn't respect you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by