What Rooster Should I Keep?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mary Coleman, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    So I have 6 roosters
    -Silver Laced Polish
    -Easter Egger
    -Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam
    -White Cochin Bantam
    -Black Silkie
    -Silver Phoenix
    I know that I am getting rid of the polish and silkie, but I am torn between the phoenix, cochin, EE, and the Japanese. They are all very good kind roosters, but I only need one.
    PHOENIX:
    My phoenix is absolutely beautiful. I never have had aggression problems with him towards the hens. He is very good and kind to the hens He will find treats for them. He also chases away the cats when they are around the hens, and alerts when a hawk comes around.
    WHITE COCHIN BANTAM
    He is my oldest rooster that I have , about 1.5 years old. He is not much to look at, but he is the kindest to the hens. He ALWAYS gives any treat that he finds to the hens. And is very alert, tho he is kinda wimpy and skittish and will run away from the cats.
    JAPANESE BANTAM
    He is full of character. He is the smallest chicken in my flock and he thinks that he is the biggest. :) he loves his hens and it is quite comical to see him try and mate a full size wyandotte. He is alert, kind to the hens giving them treats and protecting them from the cats. He is a little rambunctious and breeds the hens quite a bit.
    EASTER EGGER
    This is my youngest rooster being maybe 10-11 months old. He has very pretty feathers, gold, grey, and white. He breeds the hens a lot, but I figure its because hese just going through that stage. Non the less he will warn of danger, isn't afraid of the cats, and finds treats for the hens. He is also the biggest of the roosters.
    Thanks for reading this very long an probably boring post. Haha :) which rooster would you keep? I can't have all of them because I will have over breed hens. I can't decide.....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I like full size birds, so that is the route I would go, but you have to pick yourself...... Personally I would cull down to 2, let them be a while, and then pick.

Mrs K

3. SpringPeeper

SpringPeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    White Cochin bantam gets my vote, but part of that is assuming you also have bantam hens. I don't like to keep full size roos over bantam hens.

4. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    My flock is about half standard half bantam. I've decided that the Easter Egger is out. Would 3 roosters be okay with about 20 hens?

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    try it for a while and see how your flock is melding together. If there is a bit of tension, thin again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by