What`s wrong with my chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roosterfoot, Jun 5, 2011.

1. roosterfoot

roosterfoot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    I hatched some barred cochins LF. One chick took a long time before it got out of its egg and now it can`t straighten out its neck. Will this get better, is there anything I can do?

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    For the first few hours It will be very weak. Just put it in a brooder and it should be fine.

I do warn you, however, there is usually a 6:10 mortality rate. So out of 10 eggs, only expect 6 to hatch and/or survive.

However, It sounds just like it's tuckered out!
    Post some pics and we'll take a look.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have to let it rest. Sometimes, it will straighten out on its own. Sometimes, it won't, but if not, there is nothing you can really do for it. Have had most recover, but some never do.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It could be wry neck. You need poly-vi-sol vitamins without iron. That should cure it.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In a newly hatched chick, that is probably not wry neck. It's been curled up in the egg for a long time and if it began to grow a bit too large for the egg, it may have a hard time uncoiling.

6. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Sounds like wry neck--but give it alittlel time---may want to try band-aide (used for spraddle legs) to pull neck over to the "good side" for few days..make sure eats and drinks. Only thing I can think of. Sorry about probl...but I would try that for few and see what happens...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Also it could be a vitamin E deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by