What sand do I use for a dust bathing box??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TolChicken, Jul 6, 2016.

1. TolChicken

TolChicken New Egg

Nov 4, 2015
    What sand do I Use for a dust bathing box? I have been wondering because I have a sand box that I can use for dustbathing ~ TolChicken

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Personal I use a combination of wood ashes and peat moss (lice do not like wood ashes). There are probably as many combination of ingredients as there are chicken ranchers.

3. Zamanthia

Zamanthia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    NE Georgia
    I got my girls a cutesy turtle sandbox off of Craigslist and put clean, filtered sand like for the sandbox and some diatomaceous earth and a little bit of peat moss in it.. they prefer to lay in the ruts they made in the yard... GO FIGURE! Hope yours appreciate your efforts better than mine! [​IMG]

4. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut

Dumb question, is the wood ash like the ashes from a fire place or is this something you buy?

1 person likes this.
  5. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Yes, ashes from a fireplace or burning pile (sifted to get out bits of wood).

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use wood ash from the fireplace and fire pit mixed with peat moss. We'll be adding some construction sand since we had a truck load delivered for the paver sidewalk Hubbs just put in. Hope they like the addition. ;)

7. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    Why do so many use peat moss? Does it have any benefits and where do you purchase it? I Feel The Peat Moss Would Keep Things wet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by