What seems to be the healthiest breed of chickens?

I don't think there is a healthiest breed, as within a breed there are different genetic lines and even within those lines some of the individuals will have a better immune system than others.

That said, the hardiest birds I've raised thusfar, just based off of my own observations, seem to be any sort of game breed. They seem to live a long time, don't get ill or injured often, and could even survive in the wild if they needed to.

I think that the health of the bird depends more on living conditions, feed, and water than it does on breed. Your weather will also impact which breed will thrive in your area. I live in a cold climate (Southern Canada). I do well with Dominiques, Chanteclers, Easter Eggers, Ameracaunas, and Cochins.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

We live in Georgia...we have hot summers, but do get cold weather also.

I was curious about if one certain breed would be healthier than another.

~~thanks

I agree. Game birds usually go above and beyond all others in the "hardiness" aspect. Though they are still susceptible to disease.

It's a given that show-only birds/strains, like polish, silkies, etc usually are not suited to harsh conditions like most games/etc are. My first hawk attack, I lost one of the polish. Yet, my *IDIOT* dark brahma was hunkering down in the bush, never moving an inch. (And we didn't find her for several hours).

All birds are going to be susceptible to disease and sickness, though.

I don't get very cold, but I do get hot where I am...upwards of 110 degrees on an especially hot summer day. I bought big fluffy Orpingtons, and Australorps, on the recommendation of my feed store. I was VERY concerned by the time we got our hot weather, and actually lost one of them in a heatwave. Figure out which is your greatest extreme, hot or cold, and buy accordingly.

American Gamefowl I would say are probably the most hardy, healthy, long-living, adaptable, and self sufficient breed out there.

But otherwise, yes, I highly agree that it isn't exactly about the breed, but more the breeding.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom