What sex? 14 week old Japanese Bantam and 13 week old Partridge Silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkiesandbuffs, Jun 1, 2010.

1. silkiesandbuffs

silkiesandbuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Okay so I am curious as to what sex these two babies are. I am not sure if you can sex the silkie yet but I had heard that you can tell earlier on partridges. I am pretty sure that the Japanese is old enough though. I am hoping [​IMG] for a pullet on the silkie because I have had 3 silkies and they were all roosters so I had to re-home them. If you need different angles of them let me know. The pictures were taken about a week ago but they still look the same. Please be pullets, please be pullets! [​IMG]

This is the silkie:

[​IMG]

The Japanese:

[​IMG]

2. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    I think your Japanese is a pullet. At her age she would definitely have a sizeable comb and wattles by now.

I'm thinking the Silkie is also pullet, based on the partridge coloration of her body (males don't seem to have the lacing but solid colorations instead). However, since "she's" beardless, if there are noticeable wattles or a sizeable walnut comb, she could be a he. You can't really tell from the picture you have posted. Also check for streamers, the isolated feathers in the back that grow longer than the rest of the crest feathers; I have a 12 week old mostly black Silkie roo that just started growing silver-colored streamers from the back of his noggin.

3. silkiesandbuffs

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Thanks for the info! I am so glad glad they are probably pullets! [​IMG]

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    agree w/ pullet on the jap, no idea on the silkie

5. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    GotChicken? :

I think your Japanese is a pullet. At her age she would definitely have a sizeable comb and wattles by now.

I'm thinking the Silkie is also pullet, based on the partridge coloration of her body (males don't seem to have the lacing but solid colorations instead). However, since "she's" beardless, if there are noticeable wattles or a sizeable walnut comb, she could be a he. You can't really tell from the picture you have posted. Also check for streamers, the isolated feathers in the back that grow longer than the rest of the crest feathers; I have a 12 week old mostly black Silkie roo that just started growing silver-colored streamers from the back of his noggin.

[​IMG]

6. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have a gray Japanese bantam roo who is the same age as yours, and he has a full comb and wattles!! Definitely you have a pullet. She's a beauty!

7. silkiesandbuffs

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Quote:I am so glad that she is a pullet! She is one of my favorites, she just falls asleep when I hold her like a baby! [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The silkie is a pullet; 100%

9. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    For sure the JB is a girly and a lovely one at that

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps