What Sex - 8 wk old scovies? (more pics added)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Calling all experts - I'm new to ducks with these 3 scovies. They were sold to me three weeks ago at age 5 wks off Craigslist.

Seller thought they were 1 drake 2 hens based on size. One is much bigger and has remained much bigger since I've had them for three wks.

All are getting a little red at the base of beak. The dad was HUGE and grey the mom black and white.

I haven't named them yet as I'm waiting on sex and personality. Your help would be greatly apprecitated.

MORE PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 2 smaller ones side by side
    [​IMG]

Larger of the 3 on the left next to the grey which is the smallest
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    In these photos, the 3 that seem to be in question all appear to exhibit similar features. Can you get pics of them standing and from the side. Either together or, if taken individually, next to the same object to help with a size comparison. Also the male should have a much more prominent breast area. The males also may have noticeably thicker legs than the hens.

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Thank you Snakeman -

I'll try to get better pics. Not easy, as they were hen raised out on small lake and not handled by humans while 10 of their siblings got picked off 1 by 1 by an owl at night. At 5 wks old sold to save them from being taken as well.

Tomorrow I'll work on the pics.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    What a sadness about their siblings! I'm glad the rest were rescued by you. They are very elegantly pretty! [​IMG]

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    They are very pretty [​IMG]
    But Im thinking atleast one female... one of them looks male and unsure about the other... hard to tell in those photos sorry

You should post pics of them as adults!! would love to see how their colouring turns out [​IMG]

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    New pics added to original post

Thank you all for your help

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Oops -

I was running out of upload space and deleted pics after adding them to my uploads not realizing the pics then are not viewable.

Any input on sexes of my 8 wk old scovies?

8. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Well even without the pictures, from what you describe, the big one is likely to be a male and the two smaller ones female. Until they get a little older you may just not really know. By the time mine were 12 weeks old it was extremely obvious what sex they were and we are novice scovy owners. The males just look more male and the females more female and anyone can tell, just give it some time! But our big ones all turned out male and the small ones all were female.

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Looks like 2 females and 1 male to me [​IMG]

*Also maybe just listen to them, it will start being obvious by their sound too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    From my past muscovy experience, when they are about 3 months old, males will stand out as being much larger than females, the older they are this is more striking geting to ratio 2:1 in size males being twice the size of females.

Males also grow carbuncles on their faces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by