1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What sex/age are my turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeygirl, Jul 15, 2010.

1. turkeygirl

turkeygirl In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    I have two turkeys, a Bourbon Red and a Royal Palm. I think they are quite adorable but am wondering if anyone can tell what sex they are yet. I have had them for about a month but I dont know how old they were when we got them. Any help is much appreciated!

Royal Palm
    [​IMG]

Bourbon Red:
    [​IMG]

and no, they are not in my houseXD We have a trailer we dont use anymore that they use when its really hot or cold until we build a full enclosure for them!

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    My heritage birds started losing head feathers around six weeks old, maybe 5 1/2. It looks like the Royal Palm has lost quite a few head feathers, and maybe the bourbon red has only lost a few, so I would put them right around the six week mark. It's a little early to tell the sex. They will change A LOT [​IMG] in the next three weeks, and you should be able to guess the sex by then, but it still won't be a sure thing. I have 14 heritage turkeys this year. They are 10 1/2 weeks. I'm pretty sure about 9 toms and 3 hens, but I have two Bourbon Reds that I still can't decide on ( I think they are a tom and a hen). If you read enough threads, you will find that uncertainty happens when sexing turkeys!

Have fun with them!!!

3. turkeygirl

turkeygirl In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Wow thanks for all the help!
    It really is fun watching how fast they grow0_0 They have tripled in size just since we got themXD Every day is something new!

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am by no means a expert. Just wanted to say they are cute! This is my 1st year with turkeys. I have 7 of them. Bronze and black Spanish. I think mine are adorable too!

I was wondering if they were just living in your bathroom there! [​IMG] funny! great pictures of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: