what sex am i? updated pics of chick still in question - post #15

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanchickmama, May 12, 2011.

1. urbanchickmama

urbanchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    My daughter won a raffle for half her class chicks picked up by the teacher on a fieldtrip to a miniature horse ranch. All the chickens at the ranch are bantams, but there were too many breeds for the ranch owner to tell me which i may have ended up with. They are all between 6 & 7 weeks at this point and I'm curious about their breed & sex. One that the teacher assumed was a roo, doesn't really have the prominent comb I would have expected and another we were unsure about seems to have developed a dark red comb. Since their breeds may be mixed and I'm so new to raising chickens, I'm unsure of which breeds may typically have combs on both pullets & roos and I'm making a lot of uneducated guesses that may just be unneccessary, considering the wealth of knowledge held by the users on this forum.

These are the two chicks I'm most curious about. The black one (Ruby) has developed quite a prominent and red comb. The orange one (Dai Ichi) is likely a cochin mix of some kind and we were told is a roo, although I'm uncertain that is the case. Both have displayed dominant characteristics, but I'm sure that doesn't automatically mean they're both roosters.

[​IMG]

Here are better pics of each chick:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two pullets (Mina & Cricket) are quite a bit smaller than 'Ruby' now. They used to all be about the same size and look similar, so I'm sure all 3 are all the same breed:

[​IMG]

This last chick (Tallulah) I'm certain is a pullet, although anyone is welcome to either confirm or deny that for me... mostly I'm interested to find out if anyone knows her breed...

[​IMG]

Any help you can give me is most appreciated. If it will help for me to get better/closer pictures, I can easily get some more - just let me know!

THANK YOU!!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Black if definitely a guy, not sure about the Cochin (but leaning toward hen), but the last two are little girls. [​IMG]
    ETA [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. Leannemarie

Leannemarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    the tan one in the first pic looks like a brahma to me, looks just like mine did!

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Little bit more info: Black chick could be an Australorp... wait, I see leg feathers. Cochin? Mix breed bantam?
    Tan one is probably a brahma, thanks for that Leanne [​IMG]
    The three little hens look like EE..

Oh what the heck, I'm calling them chickens and leaving it at that [​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The feather footed ones are probably D'Uccle crosses. They have the D'Uccle stance/carriage/build. The reddish one could possibly be a purebred mille fleur D'Uccle but I don't see a beard/muffs. The black I would say is a roo and the other is a pullet.

The two blacks look like they could have some Japanese in them based on their carriage and what appears to be short legs for their builds.

The last one, Tallulah, looks like it has some light feathering on the legs? I can't tell if it has a beard/muffs or what kind of comb it has???

6. urbanchickmama

May 12, 2011
    thanks everyone for the info! i'm curious about the one people have called a 'brahma' (from what i've seend of the breed, it certainly looks to be correct):

are you thinking pullet?? can you tell from those pictures? it seems like at this age (7 weeks) a roo would be noticable.. but that's just a guess on my part.

Quote:

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    The first two look like roosters. The other three so far look like pullets. They all appear to cross breeds. I see nothing about any of them that indicates pureblood. The Yellowish rooster does not have Brahma or Cochin body type. I agree with akcountrygrrl, that he may have some D'Unccle.

8. urbanchickmama

May 12, 2011
    thanks! since they are from a ranch with so many different breeds, i figured they were mixes of one kind or another...

maybe a silly question, but when should their rooster qualities begin showing?? we haven't had any crowers yet, and i guess i'm expecting to soon.

Quote:

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i would have to agree the first two look like roos and the rest look like girls

10. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    They are all crosses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by