1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What sex and age are these Barred Rocks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loving My Peeps, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    I recently bought 3 barred rock chicks from an animal trade at TSC. I am pretty sure that I have 2 pullets and 1 roo. I have no idea how old they are but I am slowly introducing them into my flock of 9.....all 7 month old hens. Any idea on the age of these beauties?
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    From the picture I can only confirm one roo and one pullet. I would say they are between 4 to 6 months old.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're not six months, I know. There are two pullets since the color is the indicator here-males and females are different. Males are much lighter 99% of the time.

Here are two BR pullets at 12 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Here is one of those same pullets at 21 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Here is a 14 week old cockerel:

[​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    One roo and two pullets for sure. I'm guessing they're about 3-4 months old.

5. denise70

denise70 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    I agree that one looks like a roo.

If memory serves me (mine are nearly 22 weeks now) these look 3-4 months. A month ago, mine looked nearly full grown, except they weren't as round/ full and didn't have full combs.

None of mine (all pullets) had a comb that large then so I am assuming that one is a roo.

Mine at 10 weeks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    When I got them yesterday the seller thought maybe around 10 weeks old. I was thinking a little bit older....maybe 13 weeks? Any info on raising a BR roo? I've never had a roo before, he is beautiful and so sweet right now [​IMG] hope he stay like that!

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Handle him often. Pick him up, give him a mock look over. Talk to him. My boys love complements as much as my girls.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm new @ the roo thing so I've got my eyes on this... My roo is 17 weeks. The start of crowing is fun, as they sound like they swallowed a kazoo. I love the male-ness of roo's. have fun

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Duplicate thread in "What Breed or Gender?". Please, no cross posting per BYC rules. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by