What sex and age are these Barred Rocks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loving My Peeps, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    I recently bought 3 barred rock chicks from an animal trade at TSC. I am pretty sure that I have 2 pullets and 1 roo. I have no idea how old they are but I am slowly introducing them into my flock of 9.....all 7 month old hens. Any idea on the age of these beauties?
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    From the picture I can only confirm one roo and one pullet. I would say they are between 4 to 6 months old.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're not six months, I know. There are two pullets since the color is the indicator here-males and females are different. Males are much lighter 99% of the time.

Here are two BR pullets at 12 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Here is one of those same pullets at 21 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Here is a 14 week old cockerel:

[​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    One roo and two pullets for sure. I'm guessing they're about 3-4 months old.

5. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    I agree that one looks like a roo.

If memory serves me (mine are nearly 22 weeks now) these look 3-4 months. A month ago, mine looked nearly full grown, except they weren't as round/ full and didn't have full combs.

None of mine (all pullets) had a comb that large then so I am assuming that one is a roo.

Mine at 10 weeks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    When I got them yesterday the seller thought maybe around 10 weeks old. I was thinking a little bit older....maybe 13 weeks? Any info on raising a BR roo? I've never had a roo before, he is beautiful and so sweet right now [​IMG] hope he stay like that!

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Handle him often. Pick him up, give him a mock look over. Talk to him. My boys love complements as much as my girls.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm new @ the roo thing so I've got my eyes on this... My roo is 17 weeks. The start of crowing is fun, as they sound like they swallowed a kazoo. I love the male-ness of roo's. have fun

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Duplicate thread in "What Breed or Gender?". Please, no cross posting per BYC rules. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by