what sex and breed are my silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by josh ingram, Oct 30, 2012.

1. josh ingram

josh ingram New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    just wondering if anyone can tell me waht sex and breed are theses three silkie chickens.
    If you have any infomation on silkies or my silies please tell me as need any infomation as possable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you please respond if you now what sex they are and
    any other infomatinon.

thanks everbody for helping

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The best place to post your question is in the What Breed or Sex section of the forum.

3. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    There is a Silkie thread just for silkie lovers. Lots of great info on that thread, but may take you hrs to read it all. There is another thread on Silkie Showing, Breeding and Genetics thread for serious discussions.

It is hard for me to see your silkies on my phone, so I can't venture any guess of sex. Silkies are slower to mature and lay eggs, so sometimes it can take 4-5 months to accurately determine gender and 7-8 months or longer before they start laying.

Silkies are different from other breeds in some ways, such as their feathers do not repel water, they usually do not roost and would rather sleep together in a big fluffy pile on the coop floor.

If you post on the Silkie Thread, let folks know whether your birds are from a hatchery and how old they age. Many folks on that thread are breeders and if you look at some of the pics, you will see a big difference between hatchery birds vs breeder birds.

Silkies are often docile and sweet tempered. So, you should have some nice pets!

4. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    *know how old they are*

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and welcome to the flock from NC... like it was suggested by 1muttsfan and littlecritters check out those threads and post pics there, the people in those threads really know their stuff

7. josh ingram

josh ingram New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks up for all the replys. They are 17 weeks old and I hatched them off in my own incubator.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey from Kansas, Josh, and [​IMG]! I know nothing about guessing the gender of silkies but just wanted to welcome you all the same!

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & welcome to BYC from The Heartland of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

10. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by