What sex and breed are these chicks and ducks?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
TubbyChicken and I got some chicks today at TSC! They had just come in when we got there. The employees didn't know what chicks were which breeds.

What breed and/or sex are these? We got two of each kind.

492828879_zgoQn-M.jpg

492832878_NGqBH-M.jpg

492835143_TPajp-M.jpg

492838678_ondPn-M.jpg

492838154_4TTPq-M.jpg

492837317_JSLwi-M.jpg

And we impulsively got ducks too...not sure yet how that will work out.

492829845_uWQfu-M.jpg

492827871_zpyyE-M.jpg

492836358_jNuzo-M.jpg

492831823_4VpEF-M.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone? I really hope we bought pullets...I'm thinking the black with white on the face are black sex link and the golden, chimpunky ones are golden or amber sex links.

The ducks are Giant White Pekins (sp?) and Mallards, no? can you sex them this early?

Last edited:
If they were straight run they would not be sexlinks.
smile.png
The white ducks are probably pekins and the colored ones look like mallards or rouin (sp?) to me.

I dont know about the chicks.

Quote:
They couldn't tell us where they were from or what they were...One person told us the box with both black chicks and amber chimpunky chicks was labeled "sex link" we're worried that some of the chicks were sex links that came with males and we picked those up as well...I have no idea what the yellow chicks are so if anyone can identify those I would be so thankful...One has what looks like a tiny thumbprint on it's head.

Could the white chicks be White Plymouth Rocks? TSC said they think the chicks come from Mt. Healthy, and they have that breed.

I think the striped darker gold ones are Golden Comets. With Golden Comets which are the pullets---the ones with the darker chipmunk stripes or the solid colored ones? We got the striped ones, so I hope those are the pullets.
fl.gif

I have another Barred Rock chick and it doesn't look exactly like the black chick. But Australorps chicks I thought had more white on them than that black one? Could it be a black sex link? I haven't looked up pictures of those yet.

And I have no clue what the red faced black ones are, but the manager said that they didn't get any cornish chicks.

#1 are definately red sex links
#2 is barred rock
not sure about 3 and 4 but i know that both of the red sex links are pullets.
thumbsup.gif

If the #2 chicks are Barred Rocks, why don't they have white spots on their heads? Does that mean that they are roosters or pullets? The Barred Rock pullet I have (not from the feed store) has an undefined white spot on her head, but these black chicks have absolutely no spot. None of the little black chicks they had did.

Back
Top Bottom