1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what sex and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by irenew, Dec 24, 2009.

1. irenew

irenew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me the sex of these babies and breed(mixed)

I think it is a lavender araucanca maybe cross. Is it a boy or girl? I detect a slight colouring to the comb area but nothing hugely obvious.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this ones a boy. Just look at his huge legs and he has pink on his comb. I think he came out a blue egg, so part araucana

[​IMG]

there are two off these chicks. They were born yellow with a orange head. They have feathered legs and 5 toes. They had different comb nubs at birth so one looked more like a girl. I think this is a girl

[​IMG]

I think this is a boy

[​IMG]

This is another from a blue egg. I think it may be a girl. It's comb has grown a wee bit but is dark, uncoloured.

[​IMG]

And they are about 4 weeks old

2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    idk, but they are really pretty...

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I think you have got about 3 roosters their good luck with them [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Two of them have really big tree trunk legs...I would think roo on them. Hard to determine on just the comb, they can fool you. Watch for saddle and hackle feathers, that seems to be the most definitive way to determine before they start crowing, anyway. You might have to wait a bit longer to decide.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Too young for me to tell, but TOO CUTE!!![​IMG][​IMG]

6. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    i think you have 2 roos and 2 hen but
    i might not be right but i do know 1 thing
    and that is that those birds of your look
    great.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. irenew

irenew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks

It's good to know in advance what are the roos so we don't get to attached to them-we are only allowed to keep hens in the city. The black one with the enormous legs is soooo rooish looking, more so than the RIR I raised previosly,and I do think that one of the yellow coloured is a boy too. The others I'm not so sure. And don't they try to surprise by all turning into roos-not funny at all.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    That second picture makes you understand how birds could have developed from dinosaurs. Wow, those feet!

9. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thats what i was thinking.from the chest down he looks like a t-rex.

10. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say #1 is a girl.

I've got bad news for you, my guess is the others are roos. #2 is all boy! Wow!

In my limited experience, I have found it becomes more obvious what gender they are at about 5 weeks. They change so fast the first 2 months. Even on "pure" breds there can be variations on combs among pullets. This will be even more challenging to pin down with mixed birds. Wattles seem to sprout (on breeds who have them) and posture changes to upright. Not long after the boys GROW!

They are all very pretty. Best of luck and Merry Christmas![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by