What sex are my araucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tom Turkey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Tom Turkey

Tom Turkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Ky
    these are about 7 weeks old i cant tell the sex. if you think you know what it is, i would appreciate it. thank you have a nice day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all 3
    [​IMG]

2. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I think you have EEs, not whole Ameraucanas, there.
    Because they're EEs I've heard that makes it much harder to tell, but I'd say the top one with the really dark ruff is looking a little roo-ish. That's a pretty big and red comb compared to the other two, and for only 7 weeks or so.

Pea combs are a little harder to judge by because your birds won't have a huge, telltale vibrant ridge that other roos might get.

3. Tom Turkey

Apr 15, 2009
    Ky
    they are EE's i just call them aracanas i think #1 is a rooster it was trying to crow today

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    #1-cockeral EE
    #2-Not sure
    #3-cockeral EE

5. Tom Turkey

Apr 15, 2009
    Ky
    so i probably have 3 roosters?

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    they all look like roos to me...

7. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I vote all boys as well. And yes, they are Easter Eggers, not Aracaunas.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm almost positive that 1 and 3 are boys, but 2 looks a lot like some of my pullets. Good luck!

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Araucanas are very different from EEs and very rare... they're not even close to the same thing. People on here get pretty touchy about the differences between the breeds (EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas are all different, but Araucanas are REALLY different from the other two). You'll do best if you at least refer to them as EEs on this forum, otherwise you'll get a lot of corrections because people are very excited about real Araucanas because they are so rare.

And I agree with everyone else, it's extremely hard to tell the sex in EEs until they start crowing or laying. I have been lucky - at about 10 weeks old, one of my Marans roos started trying to breed with some of my EEs, so I know those are pullets. In a few more weeks, you'll probably be able to tell from behavior, if not appearence still.

10. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    looking again, I agree that #1 looks pretty male when compared to my EEs because of his large comb and redness in the face and comb. I can't tell with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by