What sex are my chicks - Lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gwill23, May 26, 2010.

1. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Ok so I had Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, and RIR hens all breed to a RIR rooster. Does that make them all sexlinked? Here is what I have I will take a guess and you tell me if I am right. They are 4 - 6 days old.

These are my black sexlinked
    My Guess Rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Guess Hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am assuming a buff orpington and a RIR makes a golden sexlink so:
    My Guess is Golden Sexlink Hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Guess is Golden Sexlink Rooster
    [​IMG]

My Guess RIR Rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Guess RIR Hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    i think they are all way too young to guess, males usually feather out later then the pullets. but I guess since they are all mixed but the rir's they are sex links.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No A RIR roo on Buff Orp hens will not make sexlinks, you have to have a gold roo on silver hens.

The top pics are black sexlinks from the RIR X Barred rock and you are right about the sexes.

The 5th, 6th, and 7th chicks are from the RIR roo on the Buff hens, but that does not make a sexlink, they will look similar to New Hampshire Reds, and they are too young to tell the sex right now.

Same for the rest of the chicks, I agree that they are probably RIRs but they are too young to tell the sex.

4. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    So maybe I didn't get any of the eggs from the Red hens I have. Here is the picture of the dad and the hens I think are RIR's Maybe I was wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are pictures of the other moms. Although I didn't track what eggs came from who.
    [​IMG]

5. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Quote:Ok thanks that was what I was looking for. I got 3 Black Sexlinks roos and one hen then [​IMG]. I think they will be very pretty though I will probably keep a couple.

Thanks

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Way Too Early To Tell! [​IMG]

7. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    ok well what do I know, but honestly its too young to say 100% of the sex.. I promise I had one I thought was a pullet for the longest time and later on it was a roo. he was jsut a slow grower

8. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Quote:I'm sure you know more than me. I am just trying to learn all I can. I hate for the kids to get too attached [​IMG].

9. chickmeister

chickmeister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross.

I've also heard that sivlerlaced wynadotte females can be used to produce sex links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by