What sex are my mallard ducklings?

mcnicolclan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Wisconsin
I got my first 4 mallard ducklings from Tractor Supply. They are now about 5 wks old and fully feathered. They all look exactly alike with brown feathers, some white/blue on the wings and their heads are black with a green shine. At this point can I assume they are all female or does the male coloring show up later?

For the most part, the bills on the males have/develop a green color vs the females with a yellow/orange. I havn't owned them, but know the genral concept from my natural resource class.

at this point in time, the hens should have their "quack". Pick each one up, and they'll wmit a distress call. They females should be developing a quack, whereas they males maintain their rasp.

I know rouens are a little different from mallards. But i can definately say that i agree with duckking and Yellow House Farm. The quack should be in. On my rouen i could also tell the difference in bill color. Mine are about the same age and my male looks exactly like my female except he has a greenish tent to his bill and hers is dark with yellow orange.
smile.png

Edited to say: The males will look like the famales until the reach maturity. That when they get the male coloring.
wink.png

Last edited:
with our TSC mallards last year, all four looked alike. The voice told the difference. When the ducklings were around 4 months old, the drake started to molt & change colors and get his boy feathers/coloring.

Last edited:
I to am confused with mine. They all sound the same to me. They are starting to turn white. R there other cues to tell em apart

Back
Top Bottom