What sex are my mallard ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcnicolclan, May 8, 2011.

1. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I got my first 4 mallard ducklings from Tractor Supply. They are now about 5 wks old and fully feathered. They all look exactly alike with brown feathers, some white/blue on the wings and their heads are black with a green shine. At this point can I assume they are all female or does the male coloring show up later?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    For the most part, the bills on the males have/develop a green color vs the females with a yellow/orange. I havn't owned them, but know the genral concept from my natural resource class.

3. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    at this point in time, the hens should have their "quack". Pick each one up, and they'll wmit a distress call. They females should be developing a quack, whereas they males maintain their rasp.

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I agree - it's the quack vs. the rasp. The difference is absolute.

5. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I know rouens are a little different from mallards. But i can definately say that i agree with duckking and Yellow House Farm. The quack should be in. On my rouen i could also tell the difference in bill color. Mine are about the same age and my male looks exactly like my female except he has a greenish tent to his bill and hers is dark with yellow orange. [​IMG]

Edited to say: The males will look like the famales until the reach maturity. That when they get the male coloring. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    A greenish tint on the top of the head tells me drake. The voice (quack vs raspy & hoarse) is another indicator. The females are LOUD.

7. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

with our TSC mallards last year, all four looked alike. The voice told the difference. When the ducklings were around 4 months old, the drake started to molt & change colors and get his boy feathers/coloring.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. vweston

vweston New Egg

May 12, 2015
    I to am confused with mine. They all sound the same to me. They are starting to turn white. R there other cues to tell em apart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by