1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What sex are my Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by edge60626, Jul 25, 2013.

1. edge60626

edge60626 Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    My avatar is a pic of my peafowl. I believe the larger bird is a male. They are about 6 weeks old. I think the smaller one is a hen. I dont have permission to post a pic on this site so I hope you can tell though my avatar pic.
    I am hoping the larger one is a male
    Names:
    Mr Woodcock & Mrs. Cockfancy

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Crowing 6 Years

Jan 13, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello and [​IMG], end especially, the Pea Corner!

I'd say that your larger baby is definitely a boy.
    He's got some white flight feathers...do you know what you've got there?
    I think the other one's a girl but it's a bit hard to see.

3. country_girl011

country_girl011 Songster

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    I have to disagree. Both look like males to me. The smaller one has burnt orange flights as does the large onew

4. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The big one looks male to me, too, but I'm not sure about the smaller one... FWIW, Green Pea, my yearling hen has a couple of burnt orange flights, but her sisters do not. Has anyone ever seen this in a hen before?

-Kathy

5. edge60626

edge60626 Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    If both are male will they get along? Will they stay in my yard? Will they fly off to find a hen?
    Or will they settle for a beach house in San Francisco and open a hair salon?

6. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have three males in an aviary with my turkey hens and they all get along, but only one is of breeding age. In another aviary I have two males with three hens and sometimes they don't get along.

-Kathy

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Both are males. The big one looks like a Pied peacock. They might stick around but if they hear a female calling when they are sexually mature they will fly the coop. They will most likely come back because the place they are raised in is their home. Anything could happen. They will get along until there are females to compete for. Most of the time from what I see is when they do get in fights is they don't get like killed or near death they just get spun and loose a few feathers most of the time depending on if they are both stubborn or if one doesn't really care. Only during breeding season they would fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: