What sex are my silkies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fowl_language, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Fowl_language

Fowl_language Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    Hey I was just wondering if it was possible to tell the sex of a silkie from appearance?

Heres a photo of my two, they're about 3 months old???

[​IMG]

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    the buff is a roo and I may be wrong but I think your white one may be a roo also [​IMG]

3. Fowl_language

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    I really hope not!!! we are not allowed to have roos, at what age do Roos start to crow?

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I've had roo's crow as young as 5 weeks. I also have one I am SURE is a roo and he's 5 months old and has yet to crow. lol
    Good luck!

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    My initial instinct was that they are both roos as well. Some of ours have crowed at 6 weeks and some still didn't crow at 6 months.

6. Fowl_language

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    Cheers people!!!

I guess ill have to wait and see..... are there any other ways to tell besides the crowing? If they are roos ill have to sell them.

I really want a couple of silkie hens but i want to hand rear them so they are good with people, Ive heard you can get shells DNA tested to determine sex, is that true?

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am pretty sure your red is a roo, but I want to venture a guess that your white is a hen. I have been wrong before, and I have had silkies for 3 years now. Sometimes they fool you.

In general, my roos have a lot longer wattles and longer tail feathers then the hens. That being said, I do have a couple of hens that have good sized wattles and some that are so small you can't even see them. I have had roos crow at 5 weeks and some that were 5 months old. Silkies are a bit odd that way, but I still love them. They keep you guessing. I haven't heard anything about DNA shell testing. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by